I would love to be someone's trainee

• Premium Member
If we try out a new assistant or video assist guy, he can be fantastic at his/her job, but if he never stops complaining he'll never come back. Harsh maybe but its a fact of life.

To that I would add that you should always try to be early for crew calls. I recently worked with a new video assist operator who was regularly late for the bus driving the crew to the set. After a while people from other departments started complaining to me and the focus puller about him. Which as you can imagine is not the way to go if he wants to get hired again.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Hi,

Fine, great, so why leave?

I know a handful of people who do OK, but it's impossible to avoid the facts. Most of the UK's best film and television people are currently serving drinks in Hoxton Square. Does the fact that you're doing OK, or more accurately have managed to get out, blinker you to the situation?

Phil

I am desperately looking for a cinematographer who would take me on as their trainee during a project or just for general guidance.

If you can't find a "trainer", train yourself until you can. Pick up a camera. Shoot. Pick up a book. Read. Write down every question you have and find the answer. Might as well be learning if you're not working.

Best of luck.

Hi,

Woah, you really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you! The US is the second most difficult country in the world for immigration, after Australia.

Phil

Well, People do it. somehow people make the system work. If your willing to try something, then you may be surprised.

Have you ever tryed to get to the U.S? I bet it's easier than you think.

P.S) with films like Harry Potter being shot back to back over there, I see no reason why finding work in the film industry there is hard. Maybee becoming a DP is not that simple, but there is work in the film industry over there.

I plan to move to Liverpool next year, and plan to stay for a while. I'm tired of the United States and all the horse poop here.

P.S.S) the minute they elect John kerry into office is the minute im leaving, because it wont be to long before someone drops a bomb on his hair doo and blows america off the map. And I dont think I want to be around for that.

Living in England will also allow to apply for a job on Harry Potter :-)!!!!!!

Landon, the reality of immigrating to the US is that it is quite hard. We've got some of the most stringent visa requirements of anywhere in the world, doubly so in recent years. Have you seen the way people are grilled at the border even when all their paperwork is in order? If we were in some other industry where there are actual staff positions, then it wouldn't be so difficult. If a company wants you to hire you then arranging the proper paperwork is usually just a matter of time. Since most of us are freelancers, with no one to sponsor us, it is very difficult.

And emigrating to the UK is equally hard, especially for a US citizen. Have you actually looked into doing this? Without a job lined up, it is next to impossible to do this legally. And what work do you expect to do illegally? You'll be lucky to be serving drinks in Hoxton Square with all those out of work film people that Phil mentioned. There are a few routes to emigrate without definite work and unless you're marrying someone with UK citizenship, have won an Academy Award, or plan on bringing in over £500,000, your primary route is Skilled Migrant program. (That's not the exact name...) You're evaluated on a points system based on your educational experience, past earnings, and so on. If you reach a certain points total you are given an entry visa and a certain amount of time to establish yourself. Unless you've got a graduate level degree and have been steadily working and earning a good deal of money, you won't make the points total. Good luck though.

Though this is a cinematography forum...do you really think that we'll be attacked if Kerry's elected over Bush? My God, do you watch television?

And emigrating to the UK is equally hard, especially for a US citizen.

Yes, I have checked into getting into the U.k

I Dont plan to become a citizen. My visit there will be only temporary.

I dont even need a visa to travel from the US to engalnd. All you need is a Passport, which can be obtained from my local post office for $35.00....

My main reason for me going there is that my mom is planning to marrying a U.K Citizine and bringing himback to the U.S once they get married.

But I would like to see if I could get a job on harry potter, that would be so cool!!!!

I dont even need a visa to travel from the US to engalnd. All you need is a Passport, which can be obtained from my local post office for $35.00....

My main reason for me going there is that my mom is planning to marrying a U.K Citizine and bringing himback to the U.S once they get married.

Getting into the UK as a tourist is a snap. You'll be allowed to stay for six months without a problem. It's getting rid of the stamp in your passport that says "employment and recourse to public funds prohibited" that's the tough part.

And as Audris said, good luck with Harry Potter...

• Premium Member
P.S.S) the minute they elect John kerry into office is the minute im leaving, because it wont be to long before someone drops a bomb on his hair doo and blows america off the map. And I dont think I want to be around for that.

Gosh, you're right! We could NEVER have a terrorist attack with Bush in office! But with Kerry in office they'll probably fly planes into the World Trade Towers!

Give me a break.

Why don't you just tell the truth Landon? Your mom is moving you to England. I'm sure you'll be working on the next Harry Potter film....with all your previous experience it's a sure bet.

lol, Thank you.

Actually, I was kind of joking about the harry potter thing :-)...but hey, you never know. Maybee they need a Work-for-free PA? lol

P.S) Being a Freelance worker (As almost all film work is) I did not think you needed a work permit for that? Seeing as how freelance work is contracted and not employed. But im just a dumb little kid, so correct me if Im wrong.

anyway, I got a while to ponder it. We may get blown up before the year is over, so I may not be going anyway. :blink:

Later...

Without a work permit you might be able to find work on shorts or school projects that wouldn't be paying you or willing to pay you under the table--which is fine for gaining experience. However to work any on production with proper pay and the legal paperwork to accompany that it is unlikely that you'd be able to find anything without first being legal. And even if you found someone that was willing to hire you, you'd have to leave the UK while your case was being reviewed to get a work permit.

Ok, but again. I have no plans of working in the U.K anyway? Seeing as how I am only going to be there for a few months.

If getting a freelance job in another country requires a work permit, then it looks like it will be out of the question. At least until I know I already have a job lined out there. and the only reason I would go to the UK to get a job would be if they hired me on Harry Potter, which ain't gonna happen anyway, so.....

Thanks,

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
I plan to move to Liverpool next year, and plan to stay for a while. I'm tired of the United States and all the horse poop here.

Your planning to move from the U.S, to, Liverpool??

.......................... :blink: ........

LIVERPOOL??

Seriously you say your moving away form all the crap back home, you wonder what people say here? My friend Andrew wishes he lived in America, but my friend in America wishes he lived in England..

I think the reason why I like America is the fact that it's not full of pikeys.

Pikey = Ugly, think they are the toughest kid in town, steal, don't pay taxes, intimidate other people, only attack if they are in big groups.

I got punched in the face a few weeks ago by some pikey, funny; the bastard was with a group of 20. On there own they just wimp out and they wouldn't dare say a word to you. You gotta watch out for them when you come here, cos "Merry 'Ol England" isn't that, "Merry".

Ha, no seriously they do it for no reason, walking down Swanley highstreet and all of a sudden BANG, where the hell that come from, bastards.. Anyway.

I know you said you were joking about that Harry Potter thing, but it's actually quite easy to get into. A number of kids from my school starred in it. The trouble I've got is that for the next 2 years I'm tied up with Education otherwise I'd have a go at it.

Yeh, well I wish you good luck on that one. I think they're gonna swap Daniel Radcliff for another soon, hey, you fancy being the next Potter?? Heheh

I've got my own plans, kinda strange plans but I'm confident they will work. I'm not a huge Potter fan, but the films are ok I spose. I think my favourite film has got to be "Leon", wicked film. And it stars my dream girl, Natalie Portman!! But hell that?s never gonna happen so I'll have to forget that one.

Yeh, well I wish you good luck on that one. I think they're gonna swap Daniel Radcliff for another soon, hey, you fancy being the next Potter?? Heheh

I Don't speak british, so I doubt they would take a look at me. From what I understand they are hiring all british cast for the main roles anyway.

I guess a could learn british, chap. :rolleyes:

Really, I'd rather be a crew member than cast member. :unsure: (I think), Although Harry Potter pays more I'm sure! lol.

I'd just be happy to be within 500 feet of Emma Watson also. B)

Heheh, na the British language and stereotype you see of the films is a complete load of bull. I don't know anyone that speaks all posh, it was quite funny once actually I was talking to a friend in America and they tried speaking old fashioned British to me, even I didn't know what they were one about, hell they knew British more than I do!

About the Potter thing. Yeh Daniel does probably get paid more than anyone else there, but to be honest I think any position in that film would be nice. It's always good to get your name on more credits, even on Harry Potter.

Anyway I can see that were both online talking like it were MSN or something, but I really gotta go. I have a meeting with the ASC.... ................ Lol, but not the ASC everyone here knows of.

See ya round.

Hi all,

I really enjoy this comedy forum.

it´s one of the funniest things to read on the web.

A girl is asking for knowledge, and finally everyone starts talking about how hard is to get job in the film industry in UK and US.

Ha,ha,ha,ha.....

Never heard anything so funny.

Do you realize there is an outside world?

film theaters all over the world are invaded by your childish productions and we don´t cry so often about our job.

I live in Spain (not near mexico)

I´m 28. got thrown at film school, and after that i´m working.

last proyect i´ve been offered is a long feature in NY as a DP.

Hope there is no bomb dropping while i´m there (i guess it´s easier to get killed by a 12 years old crack smoker with a magnum)

PLEASE VOTE FOR BUSH, PLEASE,PLEASE.. i´m very frightened

If you study law and get a good title (harward or something) you will get a good paid work even if you are really useless. That´s why i don´t belive in laws i belive in filmaking. Be the best or leave your place to other.

Landon you are a young guy with a problem, but don´t worry it gets cured travelling and meeting people from other places. I hope you will learn who you are, where you live, what´s outside and what are the rules.

Forget the towers, they did Hit the pentagonon (the safest place in the world),

Kerry was not in goverment at that time

are you safe with bush?

Oh,no...no

we are all gonna die

WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

you can bet you ass this is true, but hope to shoot many film before this happens

Laura just keep trying to be the best that´s it