HD TV Sets at Home

John Sprung

I'm thinking about getting an HDTV set for home this Christmas.  So I'm looking for advice from those of you who have them -- makes and models, pros and cons.

Thanks --

-- J.S.

I've just done a search for 1920x1080 flatscreen monitors.

At this precise moment there are no flatscreens with 1920x1080 pixels in the 46 inch or 40 or 32 inch size. There are one or two flatscreens like Apple cinema displays at 30 and 23 inch and a couple of monster 70 or 80inch with 1920x1080.

However Sonys new Qualia range has a 46 inch, 1920x1080 with LED backlight LCD with better than PAL gamut, that by early reports sets new benchmarks for home viewing. Price is $10k.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/7289743541817376/

"Situated within the Sony Style® store at 550 Madison Avenue between 55th and 56th Streets"

Anyone been in this store?? Their Qualia projector is full HD res too. The new JVC projector ($15k) would be hard to beat.

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

I've only been shopping (don't own it yet), but the best I've seen for the money is the Toshiba DLP 52". Excellent color, contrast, and sharpness. In general, DLP offers the best image. JVC's DILA looks good too, but the technology is new to the consumer marketplace (may still be bugs).

Sony LCD projection is super sharp and great color, but the blacks are clipped to a foggy gray. Makes low-key night scenes unacceptable, but high-key day scenes stunningly spectacular. Pixels crap out on LCD's.

Plasmas are just too dang pricey and don't have pixel count, unless you really want the slim profile. But some of them do look pretty sweet.

Direct-view LCD's are fantastic, but pricey and limited to about 30".

Of course all this depends on how much you want to spend, and how big a screen you need.

I would suggest spending some time comparing models side-by-side, and tweaking the color, contrast and sharpness to tune the best image. Often times an image that looks "pretty good" on one set turns out to have lousy color in the reds or something when you compare it to another brand with the same image. That approach has led me toward the Toshiba DLP over Samsung or Sony. Look for crushed blacks, white balance, sharpness, and the hue of yellow (often a good indicator).

Plasmas are just too dang pricey and don't have pixel count, unless you really want the slim profile. But some of them do look pretty sweet.

I've read that the lifespan of a plasma display is frighteningly short - far shorter than that of an LCD panel.

But of course, as you said, LCD pixels can bust quickly due to a variety of reasons, and the displays themselves aren't close to affordable.

Personally, I would go for a DLP front projector, but that's just been a dream of mine, to have a personal theatre in my home... ;)

• Premium Member

I, too, would love to have DLP front projection. There needs to be a shift in consumer mindset before it becomes a mass market item. People are accustomed to TV being a big box. The slide projector and screen form factor is sort of a stretch for the general public at the moment.

-- J.S.

DLP front projection in an affordable option, but some of the new LCD's are pretty good too. The Panasonic AE700 is getting good reviews, and seems to be able to achieve 2000:1 contrast with good color.

IMHO the best resources on the net for domestic display technology are:

http://www.avsforum.com/

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

And for excellent reviews of DVD players, etc. to use with your new PJ you can't beat,

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html(DVD player shootouts)

I've got a front projection set-up, with a progressive PAL DVD player and HD STB. It's actually not as expensive as you might think. Mine cost about $3500 Australian dollars all up and the pics are fantastic.