Camera filtration vs. Color Timing for correction

Daniel Spangler

Apologies if this is an oft-heard question: I'm interested in hearing opinions concerning the use of camera filtration when shooting tungsten-balanced stocks in daylight. I have a short coming up, and will be shooting 7218 under both daylight and tungsten conditions, and doing a best-light transfer. My natural instinct is to use an 85, but I've spoken to DPs who have said they prefer to always shoot unfiltered, and allow the lab to correct (by means of detailed reports and a grey card). Opinions?

Thanks!

- Daniel

• Premium Member

I've always felt it's a matter of taste/opinion on this one. Myself, I don't mind an 85 in front of the lens. It can help a lot, with 500T, in controlling exposure under daylight by adding ND, and the like. I even think there might be some combo 85 polarizing filters out there, but i'm not 100% on that.

• Premium Member

Yes, there are combo 85/Polas.

If you want a normal color balance and have the light levels for the 85 correction filter (like outside in sunlight) then why not use it?

Saying that, I shot most of my last feature on 500T indoors in daytime with no filter, because I needed the exposure -- and it seemed to color-correct fine. You lose a little saturation in the skintones, that's all, and sometimes the corrected image can have a faint brownish feeling in the shadows.

But outdoors, I use the 85 filter on tungsten stock unless I am going for a generally cool, desaturated look.