1/4 bobbin net

tanner wolfe

• Premium Member
The idea is that the scrim is fine enough that it doesn't cast a sharp, discernible shadow.

I guess I'm referring to the distracting rainbow-like effect more than shadows.

I get hit with this effect by the weave in the chairs and the shades they use in our show.

• Premium Member
I guess I'm referring to the distracting rainbow-like effect more than shadows.

I get hit with this effect by the weave in the chairs and the shades they use in our show.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question. Bobinette is used as scrim material for cutting light.

2X3-double.gif

I think you're asking about something that appears directly on camera.

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com/

Maybe I'm not understanding your question. Bobinette is used as scrim material for cutting light.

2X3-double.gif

I think you're asking about something that appears directly on camera.

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com/

Bobbinet is simply loose netting used in the same way a double or single would be except it's not in a frame. You can use it on camera for some applications, or drape it over one side of a china ball, for instance, double the thickness for more diffusion. Maybe he's asking about stretching it over a window??

so is this an expendable item then? i can't order a 12x12 bobinette rag?

tanner

You wouldn't order it as a "12x12". It comes generally in a roll or a bulk order (I'm not a best boy, so I've never ordered it) so it wouldm be considered an expendable (kind of like duventyne). We keep ours in a big pile of several odd sizes folded up, kind of like scrap duventyne. You actually don't see it that often except for certain applications (my regular dp uses more than most because he lights with a lot of china balls.) I wouldn't worry about having it on hand unless your DP actually says he wants some because it honestly doesn't make an appearance that often.

i think the confusions are all the same thing but different applications. bobinette is the material that singles and doubles are made from. Different fabric manufactures make different size and color bobinett. some older DP's and some new ones use netting on the backside of the lens as a softening agent. 1/4 bobinette is a weave size for this application. I dont have a source but if you call a camera house they might point you in the right direction. It may not be available now. The closest thing to it is 1/4 black promist.