Arriflex 16M Support Gear

Chris Gravat

I'm trying to outfit my Arri M with a rod system and follow focus.

For any of you familiar with the "M" you know that the lens mount is offset a bit because of the three lens turret. Just wondering if this is going to prevent me from using a follow focus?

My thought was to just secure the base plate at an angle that is parallel with the lens mount. Although this may look kind of awkward I think it might work.

If anyone has any experience with support gear for the "M" your help is much appreciated.

- Chris Gravat

Boston, MA_

• Premium Member

Chris,

The 16M is a tough one for that. With the Arriflex 16S you can use the 15mm lightweight rods, just upside down, and hang everything from above the lens as seen below.

Open1.jpg

The problem with the 16M is that the "hot shoe" mount is turned at 90º from how it is on the 16S, so many lightweight rods won't fit on there. I think your idea of going with an ARRI baseplate should work. On the back side (and base) of the camera is a triangular shaped piece of metal that is screwed to the bottom of the camera, and its outside edge is in line with the axis of the lens, so you can use that to line up on.

-Tim

Thanks Tim. I wasn't aware that the hotshoes were at different angles on the two sister cameras, CRAZY.

Anyway I appreciate your vote of confidence with the baseplate angle idea. Now I need to find a follow focus at a reasonable price that has the capability to drive a Vario Sonnar T* 10-100mm. Without getting in the way of my mattebox that is infact mounted on the crazy old hotshoe.

-Chris

• Premium Member

Chris,

Here's the triangular plate I was referring to:

MPlate.jpg

You do know that the 16M was designed to work with the lenses with the little focus ears and not with the later designed follow focus units? Do you have focus ears on your Zeiss 10-100 T* lens? And do you have a 16M/B with the bayonet mount? Or one of the older Zeiss 10-100 T3 lenses with the ARRI standard mount? Because I think some of those old Zeiss T3 lenses had focus ears. Could be wrong about that though.

-Tim

I have the older T* T3. Arri standard all the way (The seating terrifies me, oh well It's just Zeiss glass...haha).

I definitely know the cookes and schneiders and I guess some Zeiss lenses with those ears that you are reffering to. The ears look to be aluminum

This lens has kinda the same concept, but they are hard plastic and all the way around the barrel.

Heres a shot of it.

Notice how close the mattebox is to the focus threads. This is gunna be a challenge!

Zeiss.jpg

- Chris