Worth of Techniscope 2C ?

XiaoSu Han

hi!

i have been offered a techniscope 2perf converted arri iic, with "panavision revolution" (don't know what that is?) and 3 schneider lenses, a matte box, baseplate, cables, 2 motors (one constant one variable), everything still working fine... and repainted by denz deniz...

how much is something like that worth?

i'm planning on shooting some tests with it, one or two music videos, and perhaps sell it again...

thanks for any estimates ;)

regards from vienna, austria

hi!

i have been offered a techniscope 2perf converted arri iic, with "panavision revolution" (don't know what that is?) and 3 schneider lenses, a matte box, baseplate, cables, 2 motors (one constant one variable), everything still working fine... and repainted by denz deniz...

how much is something like that worth?

A very similar pkg (identical?) just sold on Ebay the other day for a little over $6,000.00 USD. Here is the item no. 180175916690. Good luck.

Jim Mageras

• 5 months later...

I'm also toying with the idea of techniscope right now, esp. since you can get a digital intermediate these days for under $100K. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that does conversions of the IIc to techniscope, or perhaps sells IIc t-scope bodies. I asked Visual Products, they don't do it...

• Premium Member

George,

The trick is finding the parts. They are rather tough to come by anymore. The gates show up on eBay from time to time, and a few years ago I saw one of the mirrors (which I believe is a 200º shutter), and a couple of years ago I saw someone selling the cam and other parts as a set.

If you could gather the individual parts, pretty much any camera tech who has been trained on the IIC can convert it. Like I said though, the big issue is finding the parts. If someone has to remake all those parts, that's going to cost you a bundle.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Hey gents,

Bruce McNaughton of the Aranda Group does Arri converts to Techniscope. That's one of his main gigs. He can do it in his sleep. Here's the link:

http://www.arandafilm.com.au/

Last quote I heard was $1,600.00 for a IIC 2-p conversion. Keep in mind that was three years ago and the US$ has gone all screwy since then. All in all, he'll do you a good deal. He can also re-front it for PL mount. I'd consider Nikon mount if I were you. The point to T-scope is putting budgets within reach. Nikon lenses keep the quality and large primes inventory high while keeping the costs low. That's just an opinion, though. I liked my Snotter-Krudnuts. They were a little soft but still adequate and a little pretty. Good for female close-ups. But I prefer my Nikkies. Their contrasty punch makes the image seem stronger and clearer.

If you need a quieter cam, maybe a BLII converted to 2-p. Bruce can do that too.

Last quote I heard was $1,600.00 for a IIC 2-p conversion. Keep in mind that was three years ago and the US$ has gone all screwy since then.

Cough cough COUGH! I just got a quote for $4,500, that's US dollars too! That's a bit more than a Super 16 conversion. Time to stalk Ebay, lol...

About 15 years ago, I sold a set of II-C techniscope parts for $250 U.S.

Too bad that 15 years ago it wasn't me who bought them off you, lol

I don't believe that the US dollar plummeted by a factor of three in three years. I suspect the demand simply is higher for T-scope, that's why it's so high.

• Premium Member

Hey George,

I had to dig back through a lot of archived email to find the old prices. I goofed up the quote. It was the PL front that was $1,600.00. The 2-perf change was $2,400.00. The AU$ was about $0.72 to the US$. It's quite a bit higher, now.