max capacity of an arri IIc mag

adam berk

• Premium Member
you might be able to squeeze 500ft to 550ft into a 400ft mag. There is a bit of space in there.

I was told you can use some of the Arri 1000ft mags

thanks

Rolfe

Although we call them 400's, the Arri literature back then said 480 ft. Like so many things, they actually do a little better than the manufacturer says.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Although we call them 400's, the Arri literature back then said 480 ft. Like so many things, they actually do a little better than the manufacturer says.

-- J.S.

The footage scale on early non-reversal "400 foot" mags is calibrated to 400'. The later reversable mags with the convex lids are the ones with the 480' scale on them. At first Arri called the newer mags "Color Magazines". Apparently the newer mags became necessary because you couldn't load 400' of some color films into the old 400' magazines because the film was thicker. I get the impression that there isn't a "thickness" issue with modern films.

Arri doesn't want you to use a 1000' mag on an Arri 2. I'll bet it has something to do with just how much torque is available from the camera to drive the mag. A 1000' mag might work somewhat but the camera may not be able to maintain constant speed from one end of the film load to the other. Plus the added load might be hard on the camera's gear train.

Arri doesn't want you to use a 1000' mag on an Arri 2. I'll bet it has something to do with just how much torque is available from the camera to drive the mag. A 1000' mag might work somewhat but the camera may not be able to maintain constant speed from one end of the film load to the other. Plus the added load might be hard on the camera's gear train.

I recall seeing these in older literature. It has a support frame for placing the camera body in, it's quite probable there's a torque motor attached. After all the Mitchell's pulley isn't compatible with the Arri's gears.

& Arri also made a 1000' AKA 300meter blimp. Don't recall if it used Mitchellm or special Arri mags.

Original 'Wicker Man' used that blimp.