Has the witer's strike affected you yet?

robert duke

"Well ya knooooww, there's ALWAYS sheep farming/plumbing/stripping/sitting at Times Square with a guitar and a cardboard box."

AWESOME! If I can get a work VISA I am so there for that!!

R,

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man oh man.......

Warner Bros., which distributed some 1,000 60-day warning notices to employees on November 12, notifying them that they could be laid off as a result of the current writers' strike, is expected to begin letting many of those employees go any time after Friday, published reports said today (Wednesday). Today's Hollywood Reporter and Variety quoted a Warner Bros. spokesperson as saying that the so-called WARN notices were required under federal law, but she declined to indicate how many pink slips might be issued. The spokeswoman added, "Due to the ongoing WGA work stoppage, some studio divisions will have to lay off employees. We regret the impact this will have on our employees, and we hope to bring them back to work once the WGA strike ends." Daily Variety said that representatives of Disney Sony, DreamWorks and 20th Century Fox said that they have no similar cutbacks in the works. Meanwhile Axium International, a Hollywood payroll services company, filed for bankruptcy Tuesday, one day after telling its employees not to return to work. The company did not indicate whether the writers' strike had been responsible for its plight.

• Premium Member
Wrong. Have you ever tried living without entertainment? Without art? In those conditions the human soul would surely wither up and die. Which is why the current crop of movies about the war in Iraq are not popular with the general public. Most people need something to keep their minds from what is bogging them down. Never underestimate the healing power of laughter. Watch Preston Sturges' movie "Sullivan's Travels." Why do you think movies are so popular and a billion dollar industry, just because? Surely they are not in the same ballpark to cancer curing, but they certainly contribute to the well being of society as a whole.

As for having sense of humor in this business, I am not opposed to it. But you comment was not funny in that it evidenced that you were making fun at the expense of things you don't understand or care about, which is not funny to the people that understand and care about them.

Simple.

Bravo.

People without a sense of humor can actually make others sick. I've experienced being around these types of individuals and if they have no sense of humor AND are super smart, all I can say is I think I know how the first cancer cell was probably conceived, in the body of a person who has to put up with intelligent people who have no sense of humor.

The strike has definitely affected this board. As I look around, I'm seeing much less stuff about actual cinematography, while we shift our attention to mostly unpleasant political s--t.

-- J.S.

Well we've always been an argumentative opinionated bunch here. Even at the best of times, discussions on lens flares and aspect ratio start to get quite boring.

I know Miss Manners said to never discuss religion and politics, but let's face it, those are the two most interesting topics :blink:

This is really more of an "industry board" any way, not just a DP hang out. I find that cinematography.net is much more techie and seems to have more working pros. It's also much more boring than this board. [Tim, feel free to use any of my comments in your marketing :D ]

Lately I've been on Indie Talk a lot more because it's where people that actually make indie films hang out. There are a few here, but not as many as indie talk since that's all that board is really focused on. And really since I only DP my own work I'm closer in ways to those folks than many on this board.

R,

So who's gonna win? Clinton? Obama? Romney? Mc Cain? It's all so exciting!!

• Premium Member
Lately I've been on Indie Talk a lot more because it's where people that actually make indie films hang out. There are a few here, but not as many as indie talk since that's all that board is really focused on. And really since I only DP my own work I'm closer in ways to those folks than many on this board.

R,

Gosh, I seem to recall a couple of topics on that forum in which people complained that very few people were actually doing work, or that it was always the same few people that were working.

Wait, Ms. Manners posted on the board and I missed it?

Um, I mean. I'm sorry to hear that, Brian. I heard speculations that the Oscars would be next? But then I was doing a checkout today at CSC (Don't get too excited, it's for an NYU job. Stop laughing.) and was kinda confused because someone mentioned that in LA, the commercial/music video world is actually really busy. Which, needless to say, does not mesh at all with everything else I've been reading/hearing. So what's the deal then?

• Premium Member

It's between Clinton and Obama. The interesting questions are when will Edwards quit, and which way will his supporters break? Romney and McCain are Republicans, and therefore don't matter -- zero chance in November. The Democratic primaries are the whole show.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
someone mentioned that in LA, the commercial/music video world is actually really busy. Which, needless to say, does not mesh at all with everything else I've been reading/hearing. So what's the deal then?

I don't know that commercials/music videos are any busier than they normally are. But that's not my bread and butter, so I could be wrong. I do have a few friends who work exclusively in that world that aren't any busier than normal. Regardless, there are a lot more people like me, that don't do that many commercials or music videos, that are available and ready to work right now, so that makes that sector even more competitive than normal right now.

• Premium Member

So much for the public. They simply don't care and the networks know it.

Excerpt:

"For at least their first three nights back on the air, the writerless Jay Leno has triumphed over WGA-sanctioned rival David Letterman in the Nielsen wars. In another sign that the TV apocalypse may finally be upon us, shows like Wife Swap, Supernanny, The Biggest Loser, and Celebrity Apprentice are so far either posting the same numbers as or outperforming the scripted shows they've replaced for their networks."

http://defamer.com/343991/viewers-stubborn...writerless-leno

It's between Clinton and Obama. The interesting questions are when will Edwards quit, and which way will his supporters break? Romney and McCain are Republicans, and therefore don't matter -- zero chance in November. The Democratic primaries are the whole show.

-- J.S.

Are so sure? I definitely would not count out the Republicans, Bush kinda won twice, remember?

Why would any one pursue this job? They are walking into a massive gov't deficit and a mess in Iraq, it will take a miracle worker to fix the two. It's like Bush is leaving a massive steaming pile of pooh in the middle of the Oval Office.

So much for the public. They simply don't care and the networks know it.

Excerpt:

"For at least their first three nights back on the air, the writerless Jay Leno has triumphed over WGA-sanctioned rival David Letterman in the Nielsen wars. In another sign that the TV apocalypse may finally be upon us, shows like Wife Swap, Supernanny, The Biggest Loser, and Celebrity Apprentice are so far either posting the same numbers as or outperforming the scripted shows they've replaced for their networks."

http://defamer.com/343991/viewers-stubborn...writerless-leno

Yes great point, what happens if the networks tell the writers to not bother coming back?

But please let the writers for LOST come back, we must have that show back on the air. Please, please........

R,

It's like Bush is leaving a massive steaming pile of pooh in the middle of the Oval Office.

No Bush IS a massive steaming pile of pooh in the middle of the Oval Office, the rest is wads of used toilet paper he used trying to flush the Constitution. Now it's all backed up and the next guy is just the janitor that gets to mop up the floor! Now they got the "don't believe in evolution" guy taking a front position in the GOP.....Good God! The only guy I respect on the right is McCain. I don't trust Hillery as far as I could throw the White House furniture she and Bill tried to steal so that leaves Obama who I just can't see as a great leader. I think we're screwed for at least 4 more years. :angry:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
The only guy I respect on the right is McCain.

McCain is my least favorite of the Republicans. He stuck his uninformed nose into the HDTV standardization process in the mid 90's, which is why some things are as they are. He wants to micromanage things he doesn't understand. McCain makes Bush look like Einstein.

One systemic problem is that we get candidates running on a single issue, be it health care, taxes, global warming, national security, whatever -- when the last thing we need is myopic obsession like that. The best choice for president would be a rather dreary generalist who takes a pragmatic look at the big picture. Such people, unfortunately, are always too smart to want that miserable job.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Bush kinda won twice, remember?

Bush kinda won in 2000, through the weighting of the electoral college system. Votes in low population states count for a slight amount more than in high population states. Gore was actually ahead in the popular vote by a tiny fraction of a percent. But in 2004, Bush won a clear majority, 54% IIRC.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Back to the strike, looks like it's getting worse not better:

Maybe not. Those contracts contained a Force Majeure clause that allowed the studios to cancel them after a strike had run for a specified time, which has now passed in all those cases. One theory is that the studios wanted to wait out the Force Majeure periods and get out of those deals. With that done, the disincentive to bargain is gone. With the Oscars just over a month away, there's an incentive for all not to let them go the way of the Golden Globes.

-- J.S.

I have heard rumors of a march contract, but thats not here or there. I don't have any solid info to go on. Of course, all this might be repeated when the DGA goes on strike. My hope is the contract the writters work out will give a good negotiating point for both sides when DGA goes to table. Then they would only have to work out formulas, not the concepts and sticking points the writters have fought so hard for. Either way. Heres to a speedy recovery of the industry once this whole strike thing is over. At least I begin shooting a short this weekend, so I'm not twiddling my thumbs, but the strike has me concerned of possible future work in the pipeline.

• Premium Member
Of course, all this might be repeated when the DGA goes on strike.

They've already been talking with the DGA. It may shake out that the DGA will make the first deal, and set the precedents. That would also shift the expiration dates so that in the future the directors will be up first instead of the writers.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
They've already been talking with the DGA. It may shake out that the DGA will make the first deal, and set the precedents. That would also shift the expiration dates so that in the future the directors will be up first instead of the writers.

-- J.S.

That's my guess. The DGA has always gotten along with the producers better than the writers, so hopefully they'll make a deal and the WGA can work off of that template.

• 3 weeks later...

Just re-read the thread (boy it's a quiet night here in Germany). I'm card-carry IA, grandfathered in through NABET, but now living and working in Germany (since 1988). I've been working in this business for 30 years, in a variety of capacities. Here, among other things I'm on the E-board for freelance Electricians and Grips. We do have a union representing us, and we have socialized or compulsory health, but freelancers are often denied many of the contract's benefits (including health, unemployment and pension) due to the precariousness of freelancing. I can go about this for hours, and do at times, to the chagrin of those nearby.

Thanks to the Brothers who laid out the thumbnail sketch of Labor and explained some of the concepts behind a lot of the quirkier points in freelancer contracts and custom.

To the gentleman in the UK, perhaps you should talk with some of your betters to learn what the UK Union has provided for them through the years. To the gentleman in Canada, realize that collective bargaining is inherently a Good Thing. Too much of a Good Thing is bad for you, sooner or later, with the exception of whiskey, as Mark Twain wrote. Some of the things that we in NY gave up in the late 80's were hard to defend, and the pendulum does and should swing back from whichever way it goes. There are some quirks in our contracts that are odd, but by and large, the fight for a living wage is and remains a fight that production never stops waging. On a side note, within the labor side of the equation, consider also the difference not in the daily wage, but career lifetime earning potential of, say, a grip and a Dp. The DP can shoot as long as one eye works and on larger projects somebody will underwrite a completion bond for a job he or she is on. A grip will be physically spent somewhere in his 60s, if he / she's lucky. Also the grip will work an average of two weeks less per project that his DP is attached to (scouts / prep / timing).

A shame that some of the post degenerated into flaming.

Fraternally, "Whose side are you on?"