Labs offering cross processing

Harry Clegg

Hi everyone

I've got a small amount of Ektachrome stock (16mm and super 8) which I'd like to have cross processed in C-41 chemicals. Here in the UK labs seem reluctant to do cross processing. Anyone know of a lab in the States (or elsewhere) that does this kind of work?

Thanks

Harry

• Premium Member
Hi everyone

I've got a small amount of Ektachrome stock (16mm and super 8) which I'd like to have cross processed in C-41 chemicals. Here in the UK labs seem reluctant to do cross processing. Anyone know of a lab in the States (or elsewhere) that does this kind of work?

Thanks

Harry

PM Karl Borowski. He's a still lab guy and has machines. He's also done research into your question.

i think you would have a problem getting a lab anywhere to process 16mm film in c41. mainly because c41 is for stills. to process 16mm in c41 the lab would have to drain their machines and use c41. it seems very unlikely they would do this very uneconomical for a one-off.

a better option might be to process your reversal film in ecn2 which is what most film labs use as it is the most common motion picture process. i'm pretty sure film lab north in leeds will let you process reversal in ecn2 though i don't think they have a super 8 machine. todd ao, I'm sure cross process and they seem to do s8 negative as well so they might be worth a go.

if you really want to cross process in c41 you can buy something like a lomo tank and a c41 kit and do it yourself.

• Site Sponsor
Yes, there are no C41 16mm processing machines; you'd have to use ECN2 for 16mm.

Furthermore, most still lab equipment I have seen in incapable of processing mp film because the still machines are not continuous like a MP processor, i.e. the have cards to attach a roll of 24-36 exposures too, and to do a push the machine stops and leaves the film souped for longer.

I went to a few still labs recently to see if any of them had a used E6 machine we could adapt and found that the only similarity to our MP operations were the twin checks.

Most any lab that runs ECN2 will run E6 in the machine for a cross process, this includes labs that do Super-8 ECN.

-Rob-