Seam Carving for Content-Aware Image Resizing

Ilmari Reitmaa

An algorithm for resizing an image by recomposing it:
All cinematographers and still photographers should be very very alarmed by this.

There was a spoof version of this a few years ago (before it became practically feasible), in which Lawrence of Arabia was reformatted to 4x3 "by eliminating the waste space between the characters" or "getting rid of all the boring empty desert in the shot" (I'm paraphrasing, don't remember the exact quotes, but that's what they did).

That was a spoof, but this one is for real. Useful in some instances, but worrying in others.

All cinematographers and still photographers should be very very alarmed by this.

That was a spoof, but this one is for real. Useful in some instances, but worrying in others.

I quite agree; while the potential for useful applications is substantial, so is the potential for abuse. I also feel that there's a broader context: algorithms are getting ever more intelligent and CPU time is getting ever cheaper, and with them an age of image manipulation is only just beginning. Digital post, as we now know it, is baby steps.

• Site Sponsor
An algorithm for resizing an image by recomposing it:

Cool,

Did lucas use this technology to make Greebo shoot first? could viewers of his later "films" use this to remove jarrbar-binks? ("they removes-um me from da film massah?") if used on gangster films do guys in suits show up to the software developers cubicle farm with ak47's ?? the possibilities are endless...

-Rob-

Adobe has purchased rights to this so I would almost expect to see it in Photoshop 'CS4' and probably After Effects 9.

I see the potential for abuse but would not sign a statement I wouldn't use it !

Welcome to the world of computational photography ...... what can I say, that's where we are....

-Sam