Chinatown (Special Collector's Edition)

Just arrived via Amazon.com and I'm watching it as I type :)

The first thing I noticed was the cleanliness and sharpness of the image, in comparison to the previous DVD that was released. The previous release was quite grainy/noisy, dusty and detail wasn't as good as it should have been.

But this latest release is a huge improvement. Does anyone know per chance what restoration and transfer processes this most recent DVD might have gone through? There's no mention of it in the extras.

Well, this film certainly deserves special treatment. What an absolute masterpiece of anamorphic cinematography. Other films, like "Plan Nine From Outer Space" will probably see less thorough restorative work ;) I saw this film a couple of years back as it was making its rounds at the Cinematheque here in Cleveland. I still remember that there were a couple of shots cut in that looked like dupes, so I'd assume that the OCN suffered some damage that justified restorative work for the Collector's Edition. Funny that SD video releases get more restorative attention than actual 35mm prints. I wish there were more of an emphasis there at getting films like this circulated on the big screen art houses.

• Premium Member

Hello Karl,

I grew up in Cleveland when the Colony at Shaker square, The Vogue , and the Center Mayfield were all single screen theaters. 2001: A Space Odyssey in 6-track at the Colony theater opened my eyes for the first time

Cheers,

Marc

Hello Karl,

I grew up in Cleveland when the Colony at Shaker square, The Vogue , and the Center Mayfield were all single screen theaters. 2001: A Space Odyssey in 6-track at the Colony theater opened my eyes for the first time

Cheers,

Marc

Funny how just about everyone seems to grow up in Cleveland, but then finds work elsewhere (although not surprising since the closest movie-making Mecca is ~500 mi. away). The only time that this town seems to have any involvement in the film industry is in mention as the punch line for a joke in a movie or a stand-in for the streets of NYC. Well, I guess I know how Phil Rhodes feels about the UK now.

Nowadays all of the cinematheques have these old 70mm projectors with nothing to feed them. The Case Film Society, right down the street from the CIA Cinematheque has a dual 35/70 projector that they can't use for 70 anymore because they put in a digital sound head for 35. Howabout 15-perf. digital prints for Omnimax from 2K scans? The ironies keep on coming.

• Premium Member
Funny how just about everyone seems to grow up in Cleveland, but then finds work elsewhere (although not surprising since the closest movie-making Mecca is ~500 mi. away). The only time that this town seems to have any involvement in the film industry is in mention as the punch line for a joke in a movie or a stand-in for the streets of NYC. Well, I guess I know how Phil Rhodes feels about the UK now.

Nowadays all of the cinematheques have these old 70mm projectors with nothing to feed them. The Case Film Society, right down the street from the CIA Cinematheque has a dual 35/70 projector that they can't use for 70 anymore because they put in a digital sound head for 35. Howabout 15-perf. digital prints for Omnimax from 2K scans? The ironies keep on coming.

When I heard they cut up the Colony I was mortified.

Remember if you survive the scene in Cleveland you are prepared for anywhere!!!