Cinematographer at large - my reel

Steven Dempsey

I just got laid off from an 8 year gig as a graphic designer although shooting has always been my passion. I'm looking at this situation as an opportunity to pursue my dream.

I put together a reel of some of my best stuff in the hopes of getting some work. There are some jobs on the horizon based on this reel but I'm always on the look out for more stuff so let me know if you hear of anything. I live outside Seattle.

http://www.pinelakefilms.com/short_reel.html

All shot with XHA1 and XLH1 Canon HDV cameras.

There's a longer and different cut available from a link below the movie.

Edited by Steven Dempsey

• Premium Member

I like the shots on your reel, but I think it cuts too fast. The shots are nice, but a lot of them only last for a second or two. It looks like a music video. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know, I don't hire people. But personally, I would love to see those shots last a bit longer.

Also, your reel doesn't have that many people in it. Most projects have people in them. If you're looking to do nature cinematography, then you're in good shape. If your looking to get narrative work then you should probably add more shots with people. Not to say that I don't like those shots...I'm thinking from a purely business perspective. Just my thoughts....I could be wrong.

Thanks for the comments Brad. My experience to date has been largely in the realm of nature but I'm trying to break into the narrative world. As I get more experience with actual people, I will update my reel :)

I agree on the cuts being too fast, that's why I included a longer edit (with different soundtrack) as a link below the short version.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the comments Brad. My experience to date has been largely in the realm of nature but I'm trying to break into the narrative world. As I get more experience with actual people, I will update my reel :)

Ah, the old Catch-22. I can understand that issue.

I agree on the cuts being too fast, that's why I included a longer edit (with different soundtrack) as a link below the short version.

Didn't see that one. I'll check it out.

Very beautiful stuff. Some of the compositions (especially the row of leaves in the rain) are rather inspirational. It's some of the best ext. photography I've seen in its format.

Could you share a bit about you camera, camera settings, etc. etc.?

Thank you Marc, I'm flattered.

In my reel, I was using two cameras:

Canon XLH1

Canon XHA1

Regarding settings, I developed some presets for these cameras to look more like the Panny DVX/HVX color gamut.

Not sure what other info you wanted...I'll be happy to answer specific questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...