Job titles

JD Hartman

• Premium Member

"Swing" just means you work in both departments, helping each as needed. You're responsible to both the Key Grip and the Gaffer, and generally they will decide which department needs your services more at any given time.

I agree. That's always been my definition of the job. On one project, the person working as swing insisted that it meant that he stayed with the truck, kept it organized and brought out grip or lighting equipment as needed. It proved to be a great opportunity for him to make phone calls and generally goof off.

• Premium Member
On one project, the person working as swing insisted that it meant that he stayed with the truck, kept it organized and brought out grip or lighting equipment as needed.

That's the (partial) description of Best Boy, not Swing. And not the goofing off part. ;)

I agree. That's always been my definition of the job. On one project, the person working as swing insisted that it meant that he stayed with the truck, kept it organized and brought out grip or lighting equipment as needed. It proved to be a great opportunity for him to make phone calls and generally goof off.

every g/e will probably goof off more than most but the work should always be the priority. it's also why i'll never call some people to help me out.