My Reel

Jess Haas

Just looking for some constructive criticism. Let me know what you like and what should go.

http://firehead.org/~jessh/reel/

If you watch the higher resolution version(480P) you will notice some interlacing issues. Deinerlacing in compressor or quicktime didn't fix it. All the material originated at 24fps so if I can figure out how to undo the pulldown in final cut and make a 24p quicktime file I figure that should solve my problems. Anyone have any suggestions?

There are also some annoying artifacts in the black and white material from the compression that I need to figure out how to get rid of.

~Jess

• Premium Member

OK, so, I downloaded it and watched it, which did take a bit. I like a lot of the stuff around the pool, but I feel that the inclusion of the B/w footage is a folly. The footage is good, dont' get me wrong, but it has the feeling of, well, film school with the bolext. Some of the shots are strong, while others seem lackluster. Please don't take offense to that, I'm just giving my honest opinion. I think the biggest issue might be raccoon eyes in that footage IMHO.

That aside the reel looks very good and has a nice pacing to it. I don't feel any shot was too long, nor too short and the music was a good choice. (Ps, i like the b/w with the blinds cookie up on the wall, so keep that for certain!)

Thanks for the input. I will see what I can do about getting download times down. When I tested it from my house it did take a little while to start but once it started it seemed to play while downloading fine. Might need to play with the hinting or something. I also can compress it a bit more but don't want to have too much artifacting since it is a cinematography reel.

I was a bit afraid that the b/w stuff would look too student. I did shoot it while I was in film school after all. Do you think I should cut it down or remove it completely?

Thanks for telling me that you liked the shot with the blinds. I removed the rest of the shots from that film but I love the way you can see her eyes through the sunglasses and couldn't bring myself to remove that shot. I was wondering if leaving it was a mistake. That lighting was done through the actual blinds, no cookie required :-)

~Jess

i watch the real and i think the pool shot are not so good because the compositions aren't exocet like the underwater full shot of the girl is to tight and the shot of the girls make a star is not well composed to also the tilt up shot of the girl in the pole is off

i also agree with Adrian about the fill of the b&W but it look's good

don't take this the hard way keep shooting and lighting

:)