Aaton Penelope specs

Joe Walker

Talked to Aaton and what I can share right now is that they are very pleased that Penelope is running very quiet. Other than that I can tell you that they are looking to release the camera by the end of summer 2008.

Excellent. Can't wait to see it.

What exactly do they mean by "Digital Mag"... I know what the mag part refers to, just not there definition of "Digital"... something like a hard drive array?

IF there trying to make this an interchangeable 35mm / 4k digital camera, I'd be interested to see how they manage this. Considering it would take a major upgrade in electronics inside the camera to handle 4k or 6k data (as there claiming). AND, If they managed this "upgrade" in electronics, how are they gonna "convert" it back to film on-set? Remove the electronics inside?!?!?

I'm lost, lol.

• Premium Member
What exactly do they mean by "Digital Mag"... I know what the mag part refers to, just not there definition of "Digital"... something like a hard drive array?

IF there trying to make this an interchangeable 35mm / 4k digital camera, I'd be interested to see how they manage this. Considering it would take a major upgrade in electronics inside the camera to handle 4k or 6k data (as there claiming). AND, If they managed this "upgrade" in electronics, how are they gonna "convert" it back to film on-set? Remove the electronics inside?!?!?

I'm lost, lol.

Hi Landon,

Thats the plan when the technology exists, Joe Dunton did it 5 years ago with a Arri SR (HD Mag) so it's quite possible to do.

Its just a Mag you change, just like changing a film mag.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Landon,

Thats the plan when the technology exists, Joe Dunton did it 5 years ago with a Arri SR (HD Mag) so it's quite possible to do.

Stephen

Thats true Steven but in the end Icky didn't want to back it. Pity. It was a great idea and a wonderful solution for the 16mm owner/op wanting to offer HD as well as film via his own kit.

• Premium Member

In theory, though, couldn't Arri or Aaton or anyone just build a mag as such (maybe to link out to an array) to be put on the back of any of their cameras? I don't see why it couldn't be done, really (perhaps not @4K but star with something simple. . . say 1080?) just a thought.

I love the new Aaton's look. Though I'll probably not see one in person for a few years!

In theory many things are possible, but as a practical matter it may not make sense. This is an idea that's been kicking around for a while now, and I'm sure someone will eventually design a successful model. When Abel first saw the prototype of the Silicon Imaging camera our first thought was to hollow out an Aaton 16mm camera and shove it in there!

• Premium Member

I mean overall. Hell I'd love a 2K or 4K sensor for a film camera as a mag, but i'd settle for 1080 just to get stuff like this on the market for cine cameras. It'd really help get a lot longer life out of your gear (especially if a company made "universal versions," for any mag camera!)

Probably a pipe dream though

Edited by Adrian Sierkowski

• Premium Member
Thats true Steven but in the end Icky didn't want to back it. Pity. It was a great idea and a wonderful solution for the 16mm owner/op wanting to offer HD as well as film via his own kit.

Hi Phil,

Found a link http://www.urbanfox.tv/articles/cameras/c19joedunton.htm

There was info on the JDC website but that's now Panavision UK

Stephen

Thanks for that, but my original post was to obtain more information than what the website detailed, i.e. will the camera shoot higher than 40fps, like the 35-III, will the shutter angle be fully variable, instead of the four position version that the 35-III currently offers, etc. Just the basics. Occasionally I get asked to do a music video or short film in 2.35:1 and to me, the 2 perf format would address this perfectly, since most of my work goes straight to video and such. I just love the latitude that 35mm offers, I haven't found anything better at this point. That's all, nothing huge. Thanks for all the replies I've seen here. The possibility of going 4k/6k down the road should make for a very unique camera. Cheers.