All in the Game

01.jpg

Production: All in the Game

Director: Marc Maurino

DP: Matt Workman

Set Photos

http://www.mattworkman.com/photography/work/allinthegame/

Just wrapped a 5 day short in Lenox, MA with the Panavision New Filmmakers Grant. We had a 5 ton grip truck, 2 AC's and 3 G/E crew, and a mini production crew. We shot 7218 for the whole thing. Daylight interior we shot w/o 85 and exterior we lived with a 85ND6 in the whole time.

Having the full grip truck we got to do some fun rigs involving multiple wall spreaders and what not.

My main reason for posting this is to dispel the rumors around the Panavision Elaine super16mm camera. Before doing this shoot I did a lot of research around the Elaine and only heard bad things about the camera.

Each situation is different, our shoot could have been lucky and others could have had bad luck.

We had a 1st AC from LA do a full camera check out and at Woodland Hills and he with the camera techs got the camera up and running. We were aware of the issue with the fuses blowing and the other quirks of the system.

After 5 days in the freezing cold and using the camera heating system, eye piece heater, video tap, shutter angle changes, etc. we didn't have one problem with the camera. So I'd like to say that for anyone planning on using this system that it runs fine, if your AC knows how to deal with it.

The ability of the camera to top mount and back mount the mag makes it a very versatile. On sticks the mag lived on top making it a very small footprint and for handheld/steadicam we did back mount to lower the COG. Oh yeah steadicam was fine, the op actually liked the weight and quick mount for the camera. Handheld came with a decent shoulder rig and the extension view piece was very quick to change.

The primes and zoom we got were great. No issues. We got an OConnor 2575 with hi, low hat, babies, standards, and a monitor. Which all worked great.

Given that the whole package only cost the price of shipping, service fee dropped, and the deal we got from Kodak and Fotokem through Panavision the package is a great deal.

Elaine haters can register their opinions but I personally think the system is great. :ph34r:

Cheers,

Matt

PS: though we are probably doing pickups on an Aaton XC :P

• Premium Member

Looks great, Matt. Hope we get to see the finished product at some point.

I've only been on one shoot with the Elaine, but the package that we had did not have a variable shutter. It still had the shutter angle dial on the back of the camera but the shutter itself had been replaced with a fixed 180 degree version. Did you have to specifically request this camera body to get that feature?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
arri beanie on the panavision new filmmakers grant set? ;)

So he won't send that still to Panavision for their PR dept...Panavision should give out as much free swag as arri does. :lol: Or maybe I've been in the wrong places to get any freebies from them.

I'm glad this turned into a discussion about swag. Heard the one about how to tell an AC by how he's dressed? I hadn't until my 2nd AC told me. Chuckle, self-deprecating fellow.

Satsuki Murashige: No special request on the body. The shutter was a two piece adjustable one. The 1st did negotiate us an on-board monitor, pana-glow, and some extra toys for the camera. He was friends with the prep-techs, I believe.

1st AC who can get extra camera equipment for free....HIRED! :lol:

Oh, I shall be posting footage once its on my hard drive and edited into a mini movie. HDCAM transfer, yay! No DI, boo. Scene to Scene at Fotokem, yay! I live in NYC, boo. Editor lives in NYC, yay!

My life is filled with traumatic ups and downs. I have a blog, you should read it. ;)