Shooting an IMAX timelapse movie with DLSR?

Tom Lowe

Hasselblad's new digital SLR has a 36.7x49mm sensor producing 39MP 5410x7212 RAW stills.

I wonder whether a camera like this could be used to shoot, say, a 40-minute timelapse IMAX feature, kind of similar to CHRONOS?

What would the DMR process be? Also, is there any NLE software that could handle 6K or whatever? :lol:

• Premium Member
Hasselblad's new digital SLR has a 36.7x49mm sensor producing 39MP 5410x7212 RAW stills.

I wonder whether a camera like this could be used to shoot, say, a 40-minute timelapse IMAX feature, kind of similar to CHRONOS?

What would the DMR process be? Also, is there any NLE software that could handle 6K or whatever? :lol:

Sure it could be done. You'd probably edit using proxies, a smaller rez version. You'd have to figure out the workflow! As for the transfer to IMAX, you'd have to work it out with David Keighley's company that does the DMR stuff.

Yeah the post is the real issue!

Anyone have any ideas?

I wonder if the guys at cineform might have some ideas. Maybe I will ask Newman about it.

They have a working 4K wavelet system that pulls a 2K extract for the actual realtime NLE editing.

Edited by Tom Lowe