16mm stock choice

Nikesh Patel

Hi, I'm new to 16mm and I'm going to be shooting my first time over the holidays. I've found a good deal on old plus-x reversal that has been stored in a cool, dark closet since August 2005. What are the primary differences in terms of grain and latitude of plus-x reversal vs negative? Is either more expensive to process? Is plus-x a good stock to shoot on as a beginner? I believe that it is factory sealed, not re-cans. I'm going to be shooting primarily outside and in a well lit studio.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on whether it's still valuable to hand edit as a beginner, or is it ok if I jump straight to telecine/digital editing? I have a small budget, so I might have to hand edit out of necessity.

I've found a good deal on old plus-x reversal that has been stored in a cool, dark closet since August 2005.

Don't even waste your time or money shooting THAT stock. Ideally, it should have been in a freezer for the past 2 years to still be in perfect condition. Had it been in a fridge, then there's still a chance. But in a closet for two years, it most likely has experienced quite a bit of age fogging.

• Premium Member
Don't even waste your time or money shooting THAT stock. Ideally, it should have been in a freezer for the past 2 years to still be in perfect condition. Had it been in a fridge, then there's still a chance. But in a closet for two years, it most likely has experienced quite a bit of age fogging.

Really? Plus-X? I wouldn't have thought it would be that bad... and why would it edge fog? Wouldn't that be from exposure while loading or accidental opening of the can? Wouldn't it kind of just get less contrasty and maybe foggy all over? But even then I would have expected it to take more than a couple years for it to be an issue even not refridgerated.

Jonathan, since you don't have much time to test it, I'd suggest calling Kodak TODAY or TOMORROW and have them send you 4 reels of Vision2 500T (or Vision 3 500T is it's available in 100' loads yet) and shoot with that over the Holidays so you can be sure. Or just order some fresh Tri-X. Then shoot that other stock when you have time to test it and it's not critical.

Also, Holiday events are often inside dark rooms so having a 500T negative stock may help you quite a bit. Also plan on having a camera light.

Kodak can send film 2-Day for like $9.95 in shipping... they get great deals on that.