Take up

Jase Ryan

I just got a new 16mm camera and loaded it with practice film to make sure it all works fine. When the film came out on the take up side however, it was really loose... much more so than how it started and I'm sure how it's packaged.

Does this sound normal? Or could there be a problem? It seems as though, at this rate, a 400ft roll wouldn't fit on the take up side.

Any clarification would be great.

Thanks,

Jase

• Premium Member
I just got a new 16mm camera and loaded it with practice film to make sure it all works fine. When the film came out on the take up side however, it was really loose... much more so than how it started and I'm sure how it's packaged.

Does this sound normal? Or could there be a problem? It seems as though, at this rate, a 400ft roll wouldn't fit on the take up side.

Any clarification would be great.

Thanks,

Jase

Jase,

If you could tell us what kind of camera you are using, that would help. The take up should not be loose. But depending on what camera you are talking about, there could be different issues of why it is loose.

-Tim

Tim,

Yes I should have included that first. It's an Aaton LTR. Any ideas of what that could be?

Jase,

If you could tell us what kind of camera you are using, that would help. The take up should not be loose. But depending on what camera you are talking about, there could be different issues of why it is loose.

-Tim

• Premium Member
It was just serviced a few months ago. I guess I'll have someone take a look at it soon.

Thanks.

Jase,

I would make sure the magazine is seated into the camera properly. And if it is, and the take up is still not winding the film tightly, then I would definitely take it back to whoever serviced it for you as something is wrong. Could be a number of things, but all of them should have been taken care of if the camera was serviced with a "clean, lube, and adjust" just a few months ago.

Good luck,

-Tim