Upgrading SR1 viewfinder ?

Alain LeTourneau

First easy move is to get a wide angle eyepiece which many consider more comfortable. This is essentially the same as the P+S Technik upgrade. But for a far more extensive upgrade, look at what Slow Motion. Inc. in LA offers. Anatoli will replace the fibreoptic with a groundglass so that you can have illuminated framelines in a variety of colors, plus he does an excellent Super-16 upgrade to the camera. I believe that only Slow Motion and factory-direct from Arri are the only places where you can add the lateral pressure plate to the gate in a Super-16 upgrade of an old SR. I know that Slow Motion does some other upgrades that include the viewfinder but I can't remember all the details.

Guest alvitdk

First off all the SR1 and SR2 finder are the same, therefore yes you can upgrade the viefinder from a SR1 to a SR2. It looks quite differently in regards to the SR3 viewfinder since the diameter is bigger and the whole internal prism block in the camera is designed differently. I'm sure it can be done but I'm certain it's too costly and very time consuming.

Cheers

First easy move is to get a wide angle eyepiece which many consider more comfortable.  This is essentially the same as the P+S Technik upgrade.  But for a far more extensive upgrade, look at what Slow Motion. Inc. in LA offers.  Anatoli will replace the fibreoptic with a groundglass so that you can have illuminated framelines in a variety of colors, plus he does an excellent Super-16 upgrade to the camera.  I believe that only Slow Motion and factory-direct from Arri are the only places where you can add the lateral pressure plate to the gate in a Super-16 upgrade of an old SR.  I know that Slow Motion does some other upgrades that include the viewfinder but I can't remember all the details.

Mitch,

Thanks for the info on Slow Motion Inc.. I didn't realize they did a super 16 conversion. The P+S Technik and PE Denz conversions are SUPER expensive.

Q: Where do I find a wide angle eyepiece? Do I have to buy this through Arri or do dealers usually have these items.

The viewfinder on the P+S conversion looks like something they manufacture.

Q2: Does the wide angle VF get rid of the black edges that appear in the corners of the GG in the standard SR1 VF?

Thanks,

Alain

Mitch,

Thanks for the info on Slow Motion Inc.. I didn't realize they did a super 16 conversion. The P+S Technik and PE Denz conversions are SUPER expensive.

Q: Where do I find a wide angle eyepiece? Do I have to buy this through Arri or do dealers usually have these items.

The viewfinder on the P+S conversion looks like something they manufacture.

Most dealers should have or be able to get them.  You can buy directly from P+S Technik or go through a dealer.  ZGC reps them in the US.

Q2: Does the wide angle VF get rid of the black edges that appear in the corners of the GG in the standard SR1 VF?

The groundglass remains unchanged if you swap out the eyepiece.  If you wish to change the groundglass you can, but this is a different operation and will likely not change the issue you mention.

But those black edges are the frameline, no ? If it's like my "S" finder which is what I remember.

If I were an SR owner I'd be tempted to swap out the gg just to get rid of the ^%&^&^%

letters TV in the finder.

And the pumpkin as well.

-Sam