9" CRT Monitor. SONY PVM-9044QM

Blith Clockwalk

Hi there

Does anyone have the faintest idea on how to calibrate a SONY PVM-9044QM monitor?

And one more thing, since I 'm at it. Which is better to use, SVHS or BNC cable for the DVX100A to SONY PVM-9044QM monitor? I heard the image quality was better if you use SVHS...hmm

Cheers!

• Premium Member
Hi there

Does anyone have the faintest idea on how to calibrate a SONY PVM-9044QM monitor?

And one more thing, since I 'm at it. Which is better to use, SVHS or BNC cable for the DVX100A to SONY PVM-9044QM monitor? I heard the image quality was better if you use SVHS...hmm

Hi Blith,

feed monitor with standard bars and follow the standard procedure for CRT monitors. AFAIK the Sonys all have the necessary control (Blue only mode). Use the search feature of the forums to find more about calibrating monitors.

You should be fine with using a composite signal over BNC. Technically speaking there is no such a thing as a SVHS cable. The cable is called S-Video or Y/C because the chroma and luminance signals are transmitted on separate wires. They sold these cables as SVHS cable for marketing reasons. A Y/C connection is superior to composite but for monitoring from a camcorder that doesn't really matter. The advantage of using BNC cables is their sturdiness and their locked connectors which can't fall off as easily as Y/C plugs.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

I forgot to add that there is slight advantage to using the S-video cable over composite in that colors will not bleed as much and certain color/luminance separations will be truer. The picture will appear better with a S-video cable in general. While the other poster brings up a good point about durability of BNC/composite cables, in fact because you need a RCA to BNC adapter if using a BNC cable you are actually straining the camera connector more than if you use the S-video cable which is lighter and makes a solid connection. Anyway you slice it, all cables should have strain relief to the camera handle.

• Premium Member
Hi Walter,

I wasn't aware that the PVM-9044QM was RCA only. The production monitors I'm used to all have BNC connections! If that's true, Blith go with Y/C, by all means...

Cheers, Dave

I was referring ot the DVX100. The monitor does have BNCs. Personally I'd rather stress a BNC wiht aRCA adapter than a RCA on the DVX100 with a RCA to BNC adapter.

• Premium Member
I was referring ot the DVX100. The monitor does have BNCs. Personally I'd rather stress a BNC wiht aRCA adapter than a RCA on the DVX100 with a RCA to BNC adapter.

Yep, you're right. I was thinking of the wrong camera! I'd agree to that sentiment. But as you said, the most important thing is strain relief. The phone jack on my PD150 was ruined a couple of times when I rented the cam to colleagues.

Cheers, Dave

Yep, you're right. I was thinking of the wrong camera! I'd agree to that sentiment. But as you said, the most important thing is strain relief. The phone jack on my PD150 was ruined a couple of times when I rented the cam to colleagues.

Cheers, Dave

Wow!

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate your help. I will try this out.

Merry Christmas!

• 1 month later...

Hi again.

I'm having real problem sorting out this calibration thing for this monitor. First of all it's a PAL monitor so apparently it's not the same procedure as for NTSC.

I can't find any Broadcast PAL Color Bars for calibration anywhere on the interenet. This is starting to worry me. Any other suggestions?

I basically need to find color bars footage somewhere, I use mac and FCP/AE.

Cheers,

Ibbi