Shooting Stock selection if i am doing DI?

Hi all

am gona be doing DI for my next feature.

> Does it make economical sense for me to shoot with kodak Vision 1 series (cheaper than Vision 2). 5274/5278 than 5217/5218. OR even can i go for fuji (even cheaper) but without loosing an opportunity to get the best image output.

> how much of this stock selection will affect my output in the DI.

thanks. eagerly awaiting ur guidance!

Edited by Rajavel Mohan

• Premium Member

The particular grain and sharpness of a stock still carry over in a D.I. (within limits) but contrast and color are more easily manipulated in a D.I. -- so if that older stock is grainier, it will still be grainier, though a 2K D.I. will blunt that a little.

I'd still chose the best stock you can in terms of grain and sharpness first, exposure latitude second, color characteristic third.

THANKS DAVID. going by ur ranking.....which of the stocks follow that ranking...if u may suggest from ur experience. becos i know kodak 50 D is sharp and the least grain...will it work well for cloudy...rainy location or does it work best in the bright light conditioons as the brand promotes.

thanks again

• Premium Member

Are you shooting in 35mm or Super-16?

50D is fast enough for light overcast in open space, like in a field, but not super heavy overcast, nor heavy overcast in early morning or near sunset, nor overcast in a dark alley nor in the woods. You might want to switch to 250D in those situations.

Yes David. i got wat u mean. i had recently done a test shoot in the exact location where i am going to be shooting my film. its a hill station...amd the season is generally cold, misty and cloudy. but when the sun opens it is reasonably harsh in that altitude. i had tested on 250 D and 200 T kodak. i could take only two stcoks...free!! for testing. so couldnt test the low speed stocks. now i am thinking if i should go for the sharpest stcks possible...as u said. at the same time i shouldnt get stuck in the misty woods or cloudy ..drizzzling times. Is the 250 D sharp enough incomparison to 50 D for the DI purpose.?

i am gona be shooting on super 35. arri 435. zeiss ultra prime lens 16, 24, 32, 50, 85, HR zoom. Doing DI.

i have been plannng to change the look of the film gradually as the script moves forward. so i want the first 40% to be warm (may be i will shoot with 50 D for day ext and 250 D for day Int).......and then slowwly reduce the warmth and increase the cool tone and gradually make it stark at the end of the film.....(may be i will shoot 100 T 5212 without filter for Day ext and 200 T 5274 without filter for Day interior) for the cool look. but use 5218 for all night scenes throughout the film......

please give me ur feedback on my plan of action......Actuallly i am trying to follow the tone pattern as of the "The Portrait of a lady'..wonder what stocks they had used for their emotional storytelling....

Thanks a zillion.