My new rig

Jose Prada

Hello everybody! I am new here an I am impressed with the quality and good ambience of this forum. I have learned more reading you here than in months... Well, I am an amateur filmmaker and finally have been able to acquire a starter lighting rig, although I have made a great inversion for me. Here it is:

2 ARRI fresnels (650)

1 ARRI fresnel (300)

2 Cosmolights open-faced (1x1000 and 1x800)

1 chimera 3x3 ft.

5 tripods.

Gels.

and accesories

what do you think? I'm anxious to put into practice all my knowledge (from books and forums like this). Is it a versatile thing to little locations and so on? (I am shooting a series of short movies to put in our web, which is my project. You can see them at www.jindama.com ) I hope you like it!! Happy christmas to everyone from Spain!! :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

Hi Jose,

nice setup you have. You'll need to add some measures of controlling light, flags, foamcore, white card etc and maybe a dimmer or two. Aside from that it's a nice setup to start out with. Just shoot something and see how it works out. I usually make mental notes of what I'm missing when lighting a gig with my own gear. And the next chashc-ow project usually takes care of that (aside from those HMIs I always seems to lack :D).

You might want to add a pepper or two for those little sparkles of light and when you need to hide the fixture behind a beam or other set piece.

Regards, Dave

PS: You'd rather call your lighting gear a kit than a rig. A rig would be some special way of attaching a light or lights to something...