Wireless video tap monitor and recorder?

Dan Salzmann

I would like to know if there is a small battery powered TV with either a video8 or miniDV recorder that can be rigged with a receiver so that the director can walk around with a small monitor and record the shots as we film them. The idea is to avoid the static monitor/video recorder monolith and cable dynamic that most of us probably hate.

Why would you want to get up and walk around with a Directors monitor?!?!?! :o

That would not only be a hassel, But don't really make sence to me.

But to answer your question, there are Wireless Transmitters Im sure that will treansmit a Video Signal.

And as for the TV that records MiniDv ir Video8 (I take it you mean Hi8), then no. Not to my knowlege anyway.

You can get them with VHS built in.

Yes Laurent I know about combos I live in France in case you didn't notice. What I'm talking about is a miniDV recorder/player with built in LCD screen that can be rigged to receiver.

The director needs to be able to walk around freely with the unit, I don't need to.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The GV-D900 "video walkman" was such a device, with a 5" LCD screen, miniDV recorder and optional TV receiver attachment, and even better, I happen to own one!

It's since been replaced by a newer model with a smaller screen (interesting decision, there, Sony) and I'm not sure if there's a tuner available for that one, but I'd have thought it was reasonably hopeful.

Phil

• Premium Member

You could get one of the newer video walkmen and attach a receiver to the back of it and you've got what you're looking for. Here's a link to the type of thing you're looking for sony video walkman.

I second the idea of you taking a look over at the Steadicam Forum. This is something that's been talked about a lot in the past and you can probably find all the information you need over there.

The three tough elements to find in a single portable unit are a recorder, a tuner and an LCD screen. You can find various combinations but I think your best bet is to strap two items together. There are a number of nice portable DV recorders with decent screens, including a good Panasonic model that looks like a camcorder with the lens front chopped off. It has a decent 4" screen as well. For a small portable tuner, there's a commonly available one that I've seen transformed with a professional housing and connectors by companies such as Nebtek. Go to Nebtek.com for some interesting possibilities on portable viewing.

There are also a couple of portable hard disk recorders out or coming out soon including a few models from Archos. Read up on this over at the Steadicam forum as there has been much discussion on them over the past few months.

• Premium Member

Are you sure you really need a recorder with this setup? I use a portable TV as a hand-held directors monitor, and they can barely remember where they put it last, or how to turn it on or off.....I doubt I'd be able to convince a director to hit record and stop if they can't even remember where they put it. Just a thought....

There are some cheap transmitters and receivers out there though, so that part shouldn't be too expensive if you do decide to do it.

• Premium Member

Otherways, if the director actually wants the takes to be recorded, it's true it will be a pain in the neck for him to assume the job while directing, one could imagine an assistant would do the recording job, as the "normal" usual way... The point that he wants something very versatile - why not ? - should may be considered as a different point as doing the recording stuff.

A good point for having somebody concentred on this job, is that this person will identify tapes, feed with new ones, and have a clipboard where he would write counter points for different shots and takes, what shots are on what tape ... so the director or DP very quickly finds any shot or take needed to be seen... Also, it's a guarantee that just every shot and take will be recorded, much better than trying to find a take or shot on the tape and after minutes of research, realize the one that is searched is not on the tape... Also this person wouldn't forget to record slates as well, for easier quick search and find...

Having the DIRECTOR recording the video assist is a certain failure! They will either forget about hitting the record or pause button, or they will record between the takes!

Moreso, they will probably blame someone else for not recording!

Seen that, done that, do yourself a favour and give him only a screen with tuner and don´t forget the Hoodman, or he will complain that he cannot see a #$%& in the sun!

<_<

This may have already been answered, but I just skimmed through this post again. So if so, then sorry.:

There should be anther person recording the video. This person is usually called the Video dude!!!! lol.

Really, There should be someone who is on-set behind his compter ready to pull up a take from a previouse scene when asked too and the like.

It is almost imposible for the Director to do all of this by himself.

Hiring a Video Dude will cost you very little, in some cases free. But it will save the director a TON of work.

I know as a director, I would NEVER record my own video tap. It's easier on me to hire someone, so that when I say: "Joe, Bring me Scene 5, take 1 from 3 1/2 weeks ago".. He can bring that up for me. But If I had to do it, I would have to run over to the computer to pull up the clip.... Thats a good way to get your butt kicked off a film set, when your worried more about the video assist than the film itself.

Take it from me, Hire a Video Playback Technition will help everyone get the job done faster and on-time.

P.S) Still yet, it is very unconventional to carry a monitor around on-set. Even Major hollywood films don't do this. I Don't understand why the director needs to be wondering around the set while filming either. He should stay in one place a be sure everything is done right.

And I see no need to record or watch anything while the camera is not running, except for Blocking, in which the director should still not be wondering around.

Sorry, I guess im just to conventional for my own good.

Thanks gang!

I've decided not to have the recorder but just a wireless receiver on the monitor and do a one light TC in the end for reference. The problem is that we have to reduce the crew for logistical reasons plus we are going to be in some cramped spaces where it is not always possible for a traditional monitor/combo set-up or the director to be next to the camera.

• Premium Member

Years ago when we first tried this, there was some issue with it being not exactly FCC legal to transmit a do-it-yourself television signal. As long as we were out in the boonies far from anybody's home TV set, we got away with it. Does anybody know the situation today with the FCC?

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Hiring a Video Dude will cost you very little, in some cases free. But it will save the director a TON of work.

P.S) Still yet, it is very unconventional to carry a monitor around on-set. Even Major hollywood films don't do this. I Don't understand why the director needs to be wondering around the set while filming either. He should stay in one place a be sure everything is done right.

How is it that you would "hire" a video person for free? For starters, most video people own their own gear, and they also do it for a living. Why do you think they would "cost very little, in some cases free"? It's silly to think that.

Contrary to your beliefs Landon, it is NOT "very unconventional" for the director to have a hand-held monitor on set. Pretty much every steadicam operator I know has a handheld monitor in their kit that they use for the director. It allows the director to stay close to the actors and operator so that he can speak to them quickly in between takes. My handheld monitor gets used on pretty much every job I do. I'm probably going to buy another one since the one I have gets used so much (I want to have a backup and second monitor when necessary). A director has to know what's going on on his/her set. If they sit in a chair in front of a monitor all day they are not going to know what's really going on on set as well as a director that is on set and near the actors and the crew.

Landon, please be aware that you're conversing with people who do this for a living, and know what they're talking about. We're not guessing. We do this everyday.

Thanks Grimmett for confirming the fact that I am from planet cinema about this question. I too do this everyday. I think you'll agree that this is a great forum but there are certain participants that are at a less experienced level and are pretending to be on the set of "Aliens 5".

We are all trying to grow as much as possible and even the most experienced of us are still learning because every film is a prototype situation with different sets of parameters, limitations and requirements that need to be juggled in order to achieve the best possible result given the TIME and MONEY we have to do it.