lithium-ion battery pack

Stephen Williams

• Premium Member
Does an uncharged lithium ion battery pose same danger, less danger, or no danger?

Are we allowed to ship the tiny lithium batteries that go with mini-dv cameras? If so, uncharged or it does not matter?

Hi,

I don't think the state of charge has any bearing of the danger.

My understanding is no.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Any fire in an aircraft is a memorable experience. There are two aspects

of a lithium metal fire that make such a fire extremely hazardous on an aircraft. The first is that lithium burns at a very high

temperature, and the normal aircraft fire suppression systems are ineffective against a lithium fire.

This is from the FAA:

?A relatively small fire source is sufficient to start a primary lithium

battery fire. The outer plastic coating easily melts and fuses adjacent

batteries together and then ignites, contributing to the fire intensity.

This helps raise the battery temperature to the self-ignition

temperature of lithium. Once the lithium in a single battery begins to

burn, it releases enough energy to ignite adjacent batteries. This

propagation continues until all batteries have been consumed.

?Halon 1301, the fire suppression agent installed in transport category

aircraft, is ineffective in suppressing or extinguishing a primary

lithium battery fire. Halon 1301 appears to chemically interact with the

burning lithium and electrolyte, causing a color change in the molten

lithium sparks, turning them a deep red instead of the normal white.

This chemical interaction has no effect on battery fire duration or

intensity.

?The air temperature in a cargo compartment that has had a fire

suppressed by Halon 1301 can still be above the autoignition temperature

of lithium. Because of this, batteries that were not involved in the

initial fire can still ignite and propagate.

?The ignition of a primary lithium battery releases burning electrolyte

and a molten lithium spray. The cargo liner material may be vulnerable

to perforation by molten lithium, depending on its thickness. This can

allow the Halon 1301 fire suppressant agent to leak out of the

compartment, reducing the concentration within the cargo compartment and

the effectiveness of the agent. Holes in the cargo liner may also allow

flames to spread outside the compartment.

?The ignition of primary lithium batteries releases a pressure pulse

that can raise the air pressure within the cargo compartment. The

ignition of only a few batteries was sufficient to increase the air

pressure by more than 1 psi in an airtight 10-meter-cubed pressure

vessel. Cargo compartments are only designed to withstand approximately

a 1-psi pressure differential. The ignition of a bulk-packed lithium

battery shipment may compromise the integrity of the compartment by

activating the pressure relief panels. This has the same effect as

perforations in the cargo liner, allowing the Halon 1301 fire

suppressant to leak out, reducing its effectiveness.?

Full text:

http://www.icao.int/anb/fls/dangerousgoods...6/WPs/WP.36.pdf

• Premium Member

If I am recalling this correctly a lithium ion battery must weigh less than 2 pounds to be brought onboard an airplane.

So the tiny batteries on a mini-dv camcorder, are they considered acceptable to ship via fed-ex, onboard a plane, in the baggage area?

I'm curious if the specs are different for going onboard an airplane with a lithium ion battery versus what one puts in baggage. It seems really dangerous to put a lap top in baggage since they are kind of fragile to begin with, could get damaged, ignite and nobody would be aware???

Is it "safer" to put a laptop where it can be seen (on board) versus in baggage where if it was damaged and acted up nobody would really know about it?

• Premium Member
If I am recalling this correctly a lithium ion battery must weigh less than 2 pounds to be brought onboard an airplane.

So the tiny batteries on a mini-dv camcorder, are they considered acceptable to ship via fed-ex, onboard a plane, in the baggage area?

I'm curious if the specs are different for going onboard an airplane with a lithium ion battery versus what one puts in baggage. It seems really dangerous to put a lap top in baggage since they are kind of fragile to begin with, could get damaged, ignite and nobody would be aware???

Is it "safer" to put a laptop where it can be seen (on board) versus in baggage where if it was damaged and acted up nobody would really know about it?

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...c=28082&hl=

• Premium Member
Hi All,

Remember to count the Lithium-ion batteries in your cell phone, laptop & still camera before calculating how many (if any) additional batteries you can take on board.

Stephen

The rules seem to say that "installed" batteries in such devices are acceptable; it's the number/mass of spare batteries they place a limit on.

• Premium Member

What about when shipping via a courier such as Fed-Ex?

I'm supposed to ship a compact DV camcorder to someone. At the moment neither battery is on the camera.

The batteries are very tiny, they easily fit in the palm of a hand.

Do I have to avoid shredded paper as packing material and instead use something non-flammable? What would be considered non-flammable?

• Premium Member

Paper or styrofoam pellets, is one less flammable than the other?

There appears to be conflicting data over whether the batteries should be left mounted to the camera or not.

One place says keep the batteries in baggies or it's original packaging, and another sources says the batteries should be attached to an actual piece of equipment.

The limits apply to both spare and installed batteries. Read here: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html for more information.

Basically you can bring any installed battery (up to 8 grams of lithium content) as a carry on (within the airline limits) or in checked baggage (as long as the device is locked off). You are limited to 2 spare batteries up to 25 grams of lithium content total.

For a lithium metal battery the limit is 2 grams (per battery) and that is pertaining to both spare and installed. I think the most common application now a days are watch batteries and pacemakers but some toys use them as well in permanent installations.

Note when the TSA is refering to lithium batteries, they are talking about lithium-ion batteries. When they are refering to lithium metal batteries, they are talking about the old style lithium batteries where the lithium metal itself is the anode. Graphite is usually used commercially now and the lithium ions are inserted into that.

I hope this clears things up, I had to work my brain around this one to finally figure it out.

• Premium Member

Passing the buck.

Basically, if you declare dangerous goods, FedEx has NONE of the merchandise one would need to ship the item.

You need a special container that FedEx does not sell, warning stickers which FedEx does not have, and a special form to fill out that one downloads from the internet, because FedEx does not stock them. Then you pay a 35 dollar additional charge.

I would suggest that the airlines and the delivery companies are possibly passing the buck. Why not just install

a small vaccuum steel box in the cargo hold with a temperature indicator. Ok, that will cost money. But so what, how about we put fellow country people back to work rather than just pass the cost on to the end user.

• Premium Member

Hi All,

Bear in mind professional equipment is not covered by the wording used in sub-section 2.3 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations. Table 2.3.A expressly refers to "Consumer Electronic Devices" and not to professional equipment.

Airlines typically permit professional equipment under the scope of these regulations to a certain degree, however, this is actually good will on the side of the airlines.

Stephen