Determining manufacturing year

Erik Vilhelm

I have been offered to buy some old film stock (16mm, 100ft); both Kodak and Fuji. I would like to determine the manufacturing year on the film rolls.

For Kodak films I've found these Manufacturing Year Codes:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...15.14&lc=en

I guess these numbers are labeled on the film, and not on the can?

Are there any corresponding numbers on Fuji films? Are they located on the can or on the film itself?

Thanks

Edited by Erik Vilhelm

• Premium Member
I have been offered to buy some old film stock (16mm, 100ft); both Kodak and Fuji. I would like to determine the manufacturing year on the film rolls.

I guess these numbers are labeled on the film, and not on the can?

Yes, they are part of the edge printing. If you can have your lab do a clip test, they can probaly tell you the code as well as giving you their opinion on the useablifity of the stock.

I am not sure what the fuji codes are these days. their old print stock used to have a code that fixed the manufacture date to a given quarter of the year, Kodak's curent print stock has the year of manufacture in plain sight.

Yes, they are part of the edge printing. If you can have your lab do a clip test, they can probaly tell you the code as well as giving you their opinion on the useablifity of the stock.

I am not sure what the fuji codes are these days. their old print stock used to have a code that fixed the manufacture date to a given quarter of the year, Kodak's curent print stock has the year of manufacture in plain sight.

Fuji identify the date by putting a two figure year code and a two letter quarter code. JM- Jan-Mar; AJ April-June; JS July-Sep; OD Oct-Dec. You can see a sample on my website at http://www.brianpritchard.com/Date%20Codes.htm Film manufactured this month would have 08 - JM

Brian

The various edge printing should appear as black on the clear negative background. There should be the stock manufacturer's name, footage numbers, date code and various barcodes and stock emulsion numbers. There is always the possibility that the edge printing was left off a roll but if you have several rolls that is unlikely. Tne other possibility is that the tests were not developed for long enough to bring up the edge printing. There are lots of samples of edge printing on my website www.brianpritchard.com if you want to see what they should look like. I am assuming that your clip tests were at least a foot long and were not fogged; the edges have to be clear to see the printing.

Brian