where to get good visual moods?

rainer lipski

hi, i am a cinematographer from germany, who mainly shoots commercials.

i spend a lot of time searching for good moods and look examples.. very often i am very unhappy about the stuff i can find.

is there anything in the net you can recommend? or a good book?

thx. happy new year! *raina*

• Premium Member

I'm not sure what you're asking -- are you just looking for visual inspiration? That's not hard to find, if you simply look around and are genuinely stimulated by visuals (most cinematographer are, by nature).

The best stimulation usually comes from other areas of art and the real world itself. The more you stick with examples from cinematography and still photography, the more likely you are to run across the same types of images. There's a huge variety of design and visual stimulation all around us. Maybe what you need is to spend more time exploring the concepts and techniques at work in other art forms, and figure how you might want to translate that into your own cinematography.

thanx, michael. but you got me wrong. when you know what you want to do but you can`t find good examples, what do you do? it makes things easyer, to explain by samples. the closer to your imagination the better (faster) you can communicate. maybe i am totally wrong, but i realized it is a big help for artdepartment and telecine for example, when you give good samples.

at the moment i fly in on prep day -next day or days the shoot-next day telecine and off i am... so my hope is, that there is a secret visual spring where i can find the looks/moods i am looking for ;-)

i usually go to www.gettyimages.com or other online photo libraries. I can usually find photos that come close to the composition and lighting and art direction of the shot that i want. I find this is the best way to explain to clients how i intend to shoot.

ken

• Premium Member
www.istockphoto.com might have something on it...

I use flickr a lot. It's great and is generally better than getty and the like. And most of them are free to sue in their high quality form.

www.flickr.com