La Haine - Need Help!

Hi.

I'm writing up a simple 1000 word report based on La Haine. Here is the project brief: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bas/file.php.doc

I'm not asking anyone to do it for me or anything all I'm asking for is perhaps some usefull sources of information for listing. Be it from DVD's, web sites, books or whatever.

Reason being I have to write this in the typical degree style format (listing all references)

The problem I have is that I learnt everything about this film from my teacher back in college. I don't know of any good sources. (And I can't go listing my teacher 20 different times..)

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh wow, I didn't even realize it was out on Criterion DVD...sweeeeeet

I saw this film a couple years after it was made, and it had quite an effect on me as a youngin'. It really appealed to my generation and demographic of the time, musically and in the film references it made (the obvious one being "Taxi Driver"). And coming off of the "new generation" in filmmaking (ie Tarantino among others) it fit right in, even though it was a French product.

Looks like I'll be Netflixing this one :)

• Premium Member

Funny, just watched this a couple times over the weekend.

The commentary is very detailed, perhaps you can reference that and the films it borrows from?

Obvious influences are anything in the Spike Lee catalogue as well as Scorcese's "Mean Streets".

Jodie Foster does a lengthy introduction on the Criterion disc where she drops a lot of film references.

I'm sure you can get some mileage out of that.

Post that report when you're done.

You'll have no problem finding bibliography (and interesting reads) on this film. There's been quite a bit written on it. Head down to the school library and start searching under La Haine, Mathieu Kassovitz, and banlieue. I know you'll come up with more than you need and some new ideas.

I looked at your brief and it appears you have to do both a historical context and media context.

Start here: Oxford Journal of French Studies Vol. 61 No. 4

Wasn't La Haine shown at the Tate Modern this summer? Check what Paul Goodwin has written (Goldsmiths)

Go to the BFI library in Tottenham Court Road - they've got loads of books and film magazines from years back, just tell the person at the desk what film you're looking for and they'll print you out a list of everything they have on that film - Got me through my degree!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Nik Samal

yehhhh i always wondered about that bloody cow. and years later i still haven't figure it out! luckily i have the short term memory of a fish so it won't stress me out and i will forget about the cow by the end of this message.

it reminded me of a few years ago, maybe even around the time i first watched the film, and in manchester, some art students had placed these full sized model cows around the town. was pretty cool.

yeh this message has no relevence in it what so ever, but i think writing an essay on la haine in college was the first time i ever had a problem trying to take stuff out to keep to the word count. so much to write about

peace

What are peoples opinions about the symbolism of the cow that Vinz (sic?) sees throughout the film...?

When they were filming La Haine, the banlieue (which, I'm told, comes from the word 'banished') they shot in had a circus camped in the fields next to it with camels and lamas just walking around with the 'projects' behind them. Kassovitz thought this was visually unusual and looked to him like a scene from a Fellini movie. He also says in the film's commentary that there's an old French saying, 'mort aux vaches!', which means 'kill the cows' (literally, death to the cows) - in the UK a similar thing would be 'kill the pigs!' - the cow in the film represents this saying.