shot bag/sandbag advice

Josh Bass

So I had a shot bag or sandbag, and after a only a few uses, it sprung a leak in the corner, where the stitching burst. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to buy some new ones from. It's much cheaper to buy and ship them empty, and then buy the shot in Houston and fill them, so keep that in mind. I'd like at least 20lb bags, 25 also fine. Also, can't remember the reason that people use shot bags over sandbags, unless it's that sandbags can leave a "sandprint" after being put down too hard. If anyone cares to explain, that'd be great. Thanks. So, looking for affordable 20-25 lb shot bags, to sum up.

Sorry, won't let me edit. Few more questions:

Oh, and, if it says "sandbag" and you put shot in instead of sand, is that bad, and if so, why?

And if it says "22 lbs" or some such, is that to mean that it might burst if it weighs more than that, regardless of whether filled with sand or shot, or does it mean that it should be physically unable to hold more when it weighs that much (bulging at the seams, I mean)?

Sandbags and shotbags generally serve the same overall purpose, but common sense and experience will tell you when to use one over the other. For instance, generally, on a small c-stand (narrow base 20" c-stand) a shot bag generally sits better because the legs aren't long enough to support the size of a full sandbag. Shotties are good for when you don't need a lot of weight, but when something just needs to be weighted down (if you have some beadboard on the ground outside for some reason, and you don't want it to blow away or be moved). A shotbag may be better for marking an actor if there are a bunch of actors clustered together. Tons of other uses, but it really just depends on the situation.

Keep in mind, that a quick fix for a hole in a sandbag is tape it up with some gaffers tape. After that, the rental house should be responsible for sewing it back up again. I don't know if you own them, but perhaps the manufacturer has a similar policy (maybe someone else on the board can field that issue).

As for where to get them, I know Filmtools sells empty bags. Barbizon in NY also sells sandbags, but may only have a limited amount of empty ones. You may be able to go directly to the manufacturer to get them as well.

:)

Sandbags are cheap and easily manufactured. most Tent companies make their own or for you for the right $. You can buy ballistic nylon ( cordura) on the web pretty cheap in a variety of colors. Sandbags are nice because of their price, ease of materials access, and when they leak you just sweep.

Shot bags are denser. they are heavy in a smaller package. When you have limited space in a truck they are great because you can fit more into a smaller space. I keep 12 20lb shot bags in a single milkcrate. (not for lifting but for organization.) I keep only six 20lb sandbags in a milkcrate.

Shot bags are twice the price of sandbags.

Shot bags also leave a huge mess than can be a pain in the A(*&^%$. to clean up. I spilled some shot in my house three years ago and we are still finding it in corners and under bare feet.

I prefer shotbags to sandbags. They dry quicker, more compact, etc. They dont hit the ground on c-stands.

I have a custom sewer who ROCKS. He is cheaper than anybody else. for his number PM me. He makes some really nice fillable sandbags.