The Camera Assistant by Doug Hart

I think it's a terriffic book. I taught an adult continuing education class on Camera Assisting and I chose that book for my textbook. The David Elkins book is also very good. Consider that a single shot on film in a production is worth much more than $60. This professional reference handbook will live in your ditty bag for many years.

Additionally, if you learn everything in that book, you're skills will be in demand for several hundred dollars per day. So yeah, buy it and start studying it. It will serve you well.

By far the best book on camera assisting is David Elkins's "The Camera Assistant's Manual." Dave was a great assistant (he's now an operator and DP), he knows all the routines and pitfalls, he writes clearly, and he updates the book regularly (a new edition is coming out in Jan 2005).

For information about lighting, Blain Brown's "Motion Picture and Video Lighting" is clearly written and starts from a very basic level, proceeding to the point where the reader will have a good book knowledge of most lighting practices.

"Reflections" by Benjamin Bergery is great. It's not comprehensive, but the examples it gives are from great cinematographers, completely explained and diagrammed to facilitate your reproducing them.

"Painting with Light" by John Alton is fun but it's 50-60 years out of date, so it's best as general inspirationand a historic overview.

Lighting for TV and Film by Gerald Millerson is great as a reference--lots of tables--more for the pro than anyone trying to learn from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

Painting with Light is still a very highly respected book despite it's age! It seems to me the only things that have changed since is the technology. All the principles of lighting are the same today as they were then. Does anyone know if there is and updated version planned?

• Premium Member

Since the author is dead and the book is historical, I doubt someone would want to write a modern lighting book, call it an update of someone else's book, and pay that estate half of their royalties. Personally, I'd just start from scratch. It would be different if the book were only twenty years old and just needed some tweaking to update it.