Sound and film speed

Tom Hepburn

Hello All,

I've got an old Cine K-100 Turret camera. I'm wanting to try to incorporate some sound.

Here is what I want to do. Kind of like a music video (film in this case) thing. I want to speed up the audio of a song to be twice as fast and film me lip synching to the song. While doing that I want to film at 48 fps. The idea is that after telecine, I bring the footage in @ 24 fps and the song in at it's normal speed. So the look "should" be a slow motion looking lip-synch to a song at normal speed. The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure that my camera is filming at EXACTLY 48fps (or 24 or 64 for that matter) so when I bring it in to the digital editing system, I can get it close, but now close enough. Hope this all makes sense.

Rather then spend a few hundred more $, I'd like to get some input.

thanks,

T

Also, what are other people in my situation doing for sound?

Hello All,

I've got an old Cine K-100 Turret camera. I'm wanting to try to incorporate some sound.

Here is what I want to do. Kind of like a music video (film in this case) thing. I want to speed up the audio of a song to be twice as fast and film me lip synching to the song. While doing that I want to film at 48 fps. The idea is that after telecine, I bring the footage in @ 24 fps and the song in at it's normal speed. So the look "should" be a slow motion looking lip-synch to a song at normal speed. The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure that my camera is filming at EXACTLY 48fps (or 24 or 64 for that matter) so when I bring it in to the digital editing system, I can get it close, but now close enough. Hope this all makes sense.

Rather then spend a few hundred more $, I'd like to get some input.

thanks,

T

One idea, if you use math software like matlab... while shooting, record the camera noise, maybe use also a clapboard to announce the beginning of the scene.

The camera noise will have a low-frequency component that tells you exactely the fps, as there is some kind of sound event everytime the cam pulls a frame or close the shutter.

Now, you have an envelope containing the fps info of the camera vs time.

So, then, you can stretch/compress the tempo of your sound file according to the fps vs time of the shutter.

Edited by Richardson Leao

How long will your k-100 run @ 48FPS on a wind? I hope you plan on short shots and fast edits. Camera noise isn't an issue since you will shoot this MOS.

Thanks for the replies.

at 48fps I can get about 30 seconds. I think that will be more than enough as I want to keep the cuts going.

The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure that my camera is filming at EXACTLY 48fps (or 24 or 64 for that matter) so when I bring it in to the digital editing system, I can get it close, but now close enough. Hope this all makes sense.

It's a spring wound camera never intended for sync sound.

One shouldn't expect something on a par with Xtal speed control of an electric motor.

Maybe installing a sync pulse generator on the K-100 & recording that while rerecording the playback track.

Thanks guys.

I am aware that the this camera wasn't designed for this, but it's the only camera I have. I tried Tobin and got a response. He was aware of the camera, but isn't going to be building a motor for it as it doesn't make economical sense.

Thanks again to all who responded:)

T

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update; I was able to get the sound and picture synched in AfterEffects (software). It took some fudging, but it works. I just had to interpret the footage at a specific fps, like 26 for example as my camera is never running at exactly 24 fps. I don't think it would work for a 2 minute continuous shot, but it works fine for my short shots.

Thanks again for the responses.

T