Lens flare(s) on a 3x4 Dino

I was thinking the other day,

if one uses a 3x4 dino as a backlight visible, and hitting the camera directly,

what kind of lens flare can one expect. Of course this is a lens issue as well,

but I just wanna get the overall feel, I mean, the multiple lightsources cannot generate multiple lens

flares can they?

I am very curious to know, and if someone can point me to a clip where it is seen it would be great.

regards,

They're not dinos, but you can see in this frame grab from Akeelah and the Bee (courtesy David Mullen's website" a pretty extreme example of deliberate lens flares in an anamorphic lens.

http://www.davidmullenasc.com/akeelah6.jpg

I would imagine coming from a dino there would be even more streaks from lens flare.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member

This one shows you an anamorphic flare from a Dino:

akeelah7.jpg

Even without an anamorphic lens, you would get a flare from individual bulbs if you were close enough -- far away, it becomes one big light. So the large unit creates sort of a smeared flare from the side hitting the edge of the frame.

• Premium Member

Some flares from multiple sources:

1356722158_c582b494e6_b.jpg

1356721210_8d6dabcda0_b.jpg

It really depends on the lens, this was a digital still from a lower-end Nikon lens, the actual video was shot with a Zeiss Digizoom that had virtually no flaring, which was amazing to me.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
Hi David, Just wandering what lights did you use to give the frontal fill for the people in the audience. Seems like a very even ambient fill, lighting up a large area. Was the lights in shot all you used for the kicker?

ken

The Hollywood Palladium has a small truss system above the audience and stage, plus balconies on each side. The audience was side-lit from the balconies with 9-lights. Akeelah had tungsten PAR's hitting her from the overhead truss.