Lighting for black and white

Alex Hall

I will be shooting a short film in black in white this spring. This will be my first time lighting for black and white. Can anyone recommend any films that have helped them in the past when lighting for black and white. Also any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"Down By Law" shot by Robbie Mueller

"8 1/2" shot by Gianni Di Venanzo

"Touch of Evil" shot by Russell Metty

"Only Angels Have Wings" shot Joseph Walker

"Shanghai Express" shot by Lee Garmes

"7th Victim" shot by Nic Musaraca

"Broadway Danny Rose" shot by Gordon Willis

"Vivre Sa Vie" shot by Raoul Coutard

"Long Voyage Home" shot by Gregg Toland

"Citizen Kane" shot by Gregg Toland

• Premium Member
"Down By Law" shot by Robbie Mueller

"8 1/2" shot by Gianni Di Venanzo

"Touch of Evil" shot by Russell Metty

"Only Angels Have Wings" shot Joseph Walker

"Shanghai Express" shot by Lee Garmes

"7th Victim" shot by Nic Musaraca

"Broadway Danny Rose" shot by Gordon Willis

"Vivre Sa Vie" shot by Raoul Coutard

"Long Voyage Home" shot by Gregg Toland

"Citizen Kane" shot by Gregg Toland

I would add to that excellent list:

Night of the Hunter (Stanley Cortez)

The Fugitive (Gabriel Figueroa)

Out of the Past (Nic Musaraca)

How Green Was My Valley (Arthur Miller)

Yojimbo (Kazuo Miyagawa)

Elephant Man (Freddie Francis)

• Premium Member
I think "The Man Who Wasn't There" shot by Roger Deakins is stunningly beautiful.

That was shot on color stock, and printed in black and white.

For a more recent film shot in black and white (some parts), I'd recommend Memento. It's got some of the sharpest black and white cinematography I've ever seen. In fact, if anyone happens to know how the B&W scenes were lit, and especially what T-stops were used, please post the info.

Thanks.

That was shot on color stock, and printed in black and white.

This is true. Still looks amazing though.

I heard there are a couple bootleg copies of the film floating around that are in color. I would love to get my hands on those to see what they look like.

• Premium Member

Mike beat me to it, but take a look at some of my past postings for my thoughts on shooting B&W.

You can find info about "Memento" in both AC (April 2001) and ICG (March 2001); in summary: 5222 with a 1/2 stop push (a few years ago he also mentioned that he did a 1/2 stop push on "Batman Begins"), E-Series Anamorphics, T4, no filtration, all Tungsten Units, printed to color stock (printing B&W to color stock introduces a VERY subtle red tint - you really don't see it unless you're looking for it or unless you compare the print to one that's actually done on B&W).

• Premium Member
(I'm trying for recent ones.)

Why? Either it's great b&w or it isn't, regardless of how old the movie is... In some ways, it can't help but get "modernized" even when you attempt to emulate an old movie, unless you go from extreme cliches.

Those are all great choices by the way. I like the widescreen b&w movies starting in the 1960's with Kurosawa (High & Low, The Bad Sleep Well) that a movie like "Suture" was inspired by.

There's also "Paper Moon" and "The Last Picture Show".

I tried for recent only because the topic starter sounds young. But Ok: Night of The Hunter, Magnificent Ambersons, Citizen Kane, Man of Aran, Mad Love, Sweet Smell of Success ... They made a lot of movies back in the B&W day.

I haven't shot any B&W, but I recall hearing the one trick is to really work your edge lights.

• Premium Member

It's all about creating tonal separation and enhancing three-dimensionality, and then directing the eye to what's important. Framing bright against dark, or vice-versa, is one way of providing separation. Backlights and edge-lights (again, against a darker background) is another way. B&W loves contrast so generally you are looking for ways to avoid a muddy grey look (unless that is the look you want.)