INFRARED VIDEO

Dan Salzmann

There are infrared camcorders that are used for industrial quality control applications.

Anyone ever used these for "fiction" projects?

Any insights and experiences would be appreciated.

i know a guy who used this infrared ccd(i'm not shure it's actually ccd) to get a 3d map of the picture and do a sort of infrared-keying for an exterior scene..

Dan, if you would take the time to type " infrared videocamera industrial" in the google bar you will be amazed how much companies and details you get.......

About using them: can you remember the fuzz about the Sony camera´s when they introduced the "night-shot" mode?

They said that you could look through clothes.

They made a button that removed the infrared cut-off filter because ALL CCD´s are highly sensitive to infrared but as this interferes with accurate color reproduction they are supplied with a filter, the bluish piece if glass that you see on a bare CCD.

Rob

• 1 month later...

I have some experience in IR video and film in military, industrial, and "reality" television applications. I don't know if this will help, but here is a little of what I've learned:

IR light shows up entirely different on film and video.

On video, IR light tends to give very hard shadows, and, depending on the unit used to light, it is easily "cut" and gobos can be used very effectively.

Plastic diffusion has little or no effect on the "quality" of IR light when using LED's or filament IR illumination. I believe the best way to soften the shadows is to either bounce an IR source so that it illuminates behind the subject, or to use an IR heater to fill the area.

IR heaters can be used like 10k's on most of these video cameras to light larger areas. If you would rather have a "non emitter" source, one can easily be made using percentage mirror at an angle in front of the filament or LED source. Basically, anything that gives off IR heat or light is suitable for illumination. This makes it easier to "hide" lighting, and at the same time a pain to eliminate native light sources.

A full moon can fill in IR video to help with wide landscapes. Most IR video cameras will look better outside with some moonlight and dimmed emitters. At this lighting density, some military-spec cameras will actually pick up the heat signatures from exposed skin, making subjects "glow". Sunblock, zinc oxide, or makeup can be applied to stop the glow if it becomes a distraction.

Anyway, hope this helps

Mike