There Will be Blood vs The Assassination

Assassination

TWBB is gorgeous throughout, but there are two shots, right up against eachother that distracted me. The scene where he falls asleep in front of a camp fire. Looks very strange and unnatural and then dissolve or cut to the next morning. There's something weird about how DDL is shading his eyes but there's no direct sunlight on him, nor is there any harsh light coming from the behind the actor he's talking to. You can also tell from the sharp shadows of the leaves on his back when he gets up, that there's an HMI blasting through a bunch of leaves.

There was that one scene in Assassination, the night scene on the horses which is detailed in AC. But it was a bit more deliberate and actually kinda cool looking rather than distracting, to me at least.

Otherwise, I think they're both quite equal...Assassination just wins by a nose.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

Jesse James was superior to Blood, but I think No Country was slightly superior to Jesse James.

Irrelevant to the topic! Ha ha, just kidding

I agree. I've said it before that Jesse James was an opportunity for him to really do some stuff that's experimental to him, but he achieved a level of perfection in No Country.