What's your favorite horror film?

F Bulgarelli

Well, I sure have a lot of films to watch, have you guys seen "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"?

Really well done and pretty scary, check it out. The lightning effects are some of the best I have seen in a while

Saw it, wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I'd be when I saw the trailer. Worth a watch though. For exorcism movies, STILL can't beat the original, The Exorcist, A truly brilliant film, and scary as Hell, Literally! :o

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Well, I sure have a lot of films to watch, have you guys seen "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"?

Really well done and pretty scary, check it out. The lightning effects are some of the best I have seen in a while

Not a big fan of Emily Rose, but it was an interesting story. Kinda cool seeing an possesion from the view point of the one who is possessed. I just re-watched Jacobs Ladder, pretty good. The shaky head guys are freaky, and the look of the film really captures NY in its gritty, claustrophobic palette pretty effectively.

This is mostly black & white... ;)

NIGHT OF THE DEMON (GB/USA 1957, DP: Ted Scaife, Dir. Jacques Tourneur)

LA MASCHERA DEL DEMONIO/BLACK SUNDAY (Italy 1960, DP & Dir.: Mario Bava)

THE HAUNTING (USA 1963, DP Davis Boulton, Dir. Robert Wise)

MarioBavasBlackSunday1961.jpg

10dvd600.jpg

...in color? Hmmmm...

THE SHINING (UK/USA 1980, DP: John Alcott, Dir Stanley Kubrick)

THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961, DP: Floyd Crosby, Dir. Roger Corman)

Good excuse for another Barbara Steele pic!

21494_0004.jpg

Another vote for The Exorcism Of Emily Rose. If you're lucky enough to see this on a proper screen with an excellent audio system then it really is scary. Whether it's a horror film is another matter, though.

Also, Werner Herzog's Nosferatu. A film that shows just how disturbing a film can be with a little imagination rather than a big budget.

Edited by Dave Green

• Premium Member

There are so many good ones to list. At the same time, I can't think of a story form that has generated as many bad manifestations... well... maybe love stories.

Night of the Living Dead did it for me. I was a kid in my beginning teens. The zombies were so symbolic of the world of adults that I was waking up to. I really identified with the lead character. It wasn't just something on the boob-tube that was scary. I actually felt the story in a strong, psychological way. After the first viewing, I walked out into the backyard and cowered.