shooting 24fps in 50hz country

Bruce Greene

I'm going to be shooting a feature in a 50hz country. The director has told me that they would like to shoot at 24fps.

My concern is with any 50hz flickering lights.

I suppose I can have our generator set to 60hz perhaps and I can ask for, but I'm not sure I'll receive flickerless ballasts for HMI lights. But there may be some practical lights I will have no control over.

Is there a shutter angle that will enable safe shooting of 50hz lights at 24fps?

Thanks so much for your help.

-bruce

• Premium Member
Yes, the moviecam compact and both the Arricam ST and LT will allow you to set the shutter to 172.8, the moviecam does it mechanically (with the supplied combitool) and the arricam does it electronically

Yeah, my Arri 2C came set up that way, with a 172.8º shutter and stamped on the back of the camera it says 50Hz/24bps. Made for the European market.

Best,

-Tim

Bruce, there is no reason to use a 60Hz generator in a 50 Hz country, in fact it will more hassle as you cannot mix your lights with existing practicals, streetlights fluo's etc. that are in frame.

it is totally normal to shoot 24fps / 172.5 shutter for cinema in a 50Hz country.

pick up an American Cinematography Manual and it is in there