Wet Down Streets

Hello, I was looking for advice on the best way to wet down streets and alleys. I know I could use a hose, but I feel like there are other options. I will be shooting in the Pacific Northwest, near Seattle so it will not only look good at night, it will be motivated.

I have read a lot (and obviously see in movies all the time) that wet-downs are useful and important for a certain look, but almost nothing on the actual how to. Anyone with advice or techniques or standard operating procedures, please write back.

• Premium Member

A "water tender" truck or just water truck is what we use all the time. It holds a ton of water, someone drives up and down the area to be wet down while the truck sprays water on both sides of the struck and I think from behind as well.

You might want to talk to your local fire department. Here in Savannah, the fire department will send a fire truck to a film set, tap into a hydrant, and supply water for rain effects (they raise the basket and mount the hose pointing straight up). The only catch is that they leave if there's a fire, so that's an unpredictable variable.

Yes, water truck, sometimes also available from the highway dept. or department of streets, or possibly from a private construction company. I suppose it might also be possible to rent, borrow, lease, a lawn spraying company truck and fill the tank with water.

I'd think tapping into a fire hydrant is the easiest and simplest way to go.