Cooke making lenses for Red?

John Sprung

• Premium Member

Here's a blurb from SCRI re. NAB this year:

COOKE OPTICS, C10319 (P+S Technik booth in the Bavarian Pavillion)

Cooke Optics, maker of precision lenses for cinematography and ultra high-end photography, will showcase its S4/i series of Prime lenses at NAB 2008. Equipped with Cooke's /i Technology, these lenses are fast, light, and enable film and digital cameras to automatically record key lens and camera data for every film frame shot and provide it to post-production teams digitally. Companies with equipment supporting the /i protocol include Aaton, ARRI, Avid, Cinematography Electronics, CMotion, Dalsa, Mark Roberts Motion Control, Preston Cinema Systems, RED, The Pixel Farm and Service Vision.

Cooke lenses will also be featured at the exhibit booths of JVC and Aaton, and Cooke's limited edition RED Set of lenses will be on display at the RED booth.

The Cooke Red lenses are just regular S4s with a red colored logo. The price is still the same though. They got nothing to do with Red's own lenses, which are not Cooke glass but rehoused Sigmas.

They are indeed the $400 sigma 18-50. I do however suspect that a division of cooke is rehousing them although cooke would never admit or want that information to get out.

• Premium Member
They are indeed the $400 sigma 18-50. I do however suspect that a division of cooke is rehousing them although cooke would never admit or want that information to get out.

Hi Daren,

The lettering on the lenses are typical Cooke, it's a shame thats where the similarity ends. Hopefully the long awaited Red 18-85 & The Red primes will be what were looking for.

Stephen

Hi Daren,

The lettering on the lenses are typical Cooke, it's a shame thats where the similarity ends. Hopefully the long awaited Red 18-85 & The Red primes will be what were looking for.

Stephen

I have heard that the 18-85 might be a rebranded russian lens. This lens shows a lot more promise.

• Premium Member

Sorry for me RED-cosmos-for-dummies asking for even further clarification, but as someone prefering Cooke and increasingly bedazzled by how the RED subforum developed recently, let alone the product; may I just ask:

- The RED lenses are rehoused Sigma lenses, and have in no way at all any relation to Cooke?

- The Cooke RED edition lenses are a marketing stunt that JJ and Cooke agreed upon, with a standard Cooke S4 having an added RED logo?

(hmm, so, similar to the (red) initiative on various products..., from overpriced T-shirts to iPods... :) )

- The Cooke S4i is supporting the RED, nothing more or less?

So, who in the UK is rehousing the RED lenses in the UK, then?

RED lenses are rehoused by someone else who is not affiliated with Cooke.

Cooke took it upon themselves (or more accurately, Les took it upon himself) to market his RED set of lenses with RED-colored markings. They are the same (excellent) glass as the standard Cooke lenses with their yellow markings.

The RED camera will eventually have the /i technology up and running. Currently they are shipping cameras with the mechanical space for the electrical contacts in the lens mount but no wiring in place. So when /i compatibility becomes available it will likely necessitate shipping the camera back to RED for an upgrade.

• Premium Member

Max, Mitch, thanks for the replies to this pseudo-byzantine web of "whodunnit" unfortunately involving my beloved Cooke coop ;) ... although in the re-housing point, which was my prime point, opposite views are put forward... ah well, I guess that's what one needs to expect with RED right now, I assume.

Thanks also for the info that /i-compatibility is NOT yet here, and will require more FedExing or UPSing that body around the planet. When you did that with a 35 BL for an upgrade, at least that camera was originally expensive and huge. Today, "non-prosumer" gear gets the same treatment... (satire, it's satire; please, future/current(?) RED users, read it like that!)

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen, you asked for information not a guess ! But I would think some of the folks formerly with Optex as likely suspects !

Certainly have the requisite experience in this field.....

-Sam

Hi Sam,

Optex lens conversions were of a very high quality.

Stephen

Optex lens conversions were of a very high quality.

Which the Red zoom is definitely not. Not that it's terrible, but the manufacturing tolerances are pretty weak. I've shot with two of them over the last month or so, and each one had different manifestations of slop in the mechanics. The one I used last week had the annoying behavior of changing iris whenever you use the zoom ring. So to rack zoom, you have to keep your thumb pressed down on the iris ring to hold it in place...very disappointing for a $6500 product.