super 8 feature screening in Calgary

Rick Palidwor

Any one on this board live in Calgary Alberta? Sleep Always, an 81 minute drama which we shot in "super-duper 8" (widescreen) is screening at the CSIF Sofa Cinema, 2711 Battleford Ave SW, November 5, 7pm. There will also be a program of super 8 shorts on Saturday November 6 and a panel discussion on that afternoon. If you are out there please check it out.

For more info on Sleep Always and super-duper 8 visit our site: www.friendlyfirefilms.ca

Cheers

Rick

Rick,

Best of luck. I also bought a DVD from you and loved what you did with the film. Do you guys modify cameras that people send to you?

chris

Yes we modify cameras (most models any way). Better yet, you remove the gate and send that - saving money on shipping. Also, in some cases I have a gate from a dead camera hanging around and we could just send that out. Mitch does the gate mod for US$40. If we were supplying the gate it would probably be another $40, depending on the camera.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VideoCowboy

What cameras can you modify and recommend? I have a Nikon Super 8mm, but bought a K-3 16mm while waiting to get my first 2 super 8mm spools transfered to digital and take a look at the results. I would like a super 8mm camera that has settings for the wider range film speeds available now and 24FPS. Mine seems to be made for the standard speed Kodachrome reversal film.

Thank You,

Hal

Yes we modify cameras (most models any way). Better yet, you remove the gate and send that - saving money on shipping. Also, in some cases I have a gate from a dead camera hanging around and we could just send that out. Mitch does the gate mod for US$40. If we were supplying the gate it would probably be another $40, depending on the camera.

Rick

What cameras can you modify and recommend?  I have a Nikon Super 8mm, but bought a K-3 16mm while waiting to get my first 2 super 8mm spools transfered to digital and take a look at the results.  I would like a super 8mm camera that has settings for the wider range film speeds available now and 24FPS.  Mine seems to be made for the standard speed Kodachrome reversal film.

Thank You,

Hal

The Nikons convert well. What model do you have? Not all cameras can read the different stocks properly but if you have manual exposure control you should be able to shoot any stock with any camera if you perform the proper compensation. Canon made some good super 8 which modify easily. If you try to modify a Nizo you have to be aware of the tiny spring assembly in the gate. We do modifications for $50.

Rick

• 1 year later...
Guest cool_splash1
The Nikons convert well. What model do you have? Not all cameras can read the different stocks properly but if you have manual exposure control you should be able to shoot any stock with any camera if you perform the proper compensation. Canon made some good super 8 which modify easily. If you try to modify a Nizo you have to be aware of the tiny spring assembly in the gate. We do modifications for $50.

Rick

What about the Beaulieu 4008 ZMII

What about the Beaulieu 4008 ZMII

Nice to see such an old post come back.

I'm not sure about the Beaulieu's. I've heard there are issues, at least with the way we have been doing the super-duper modification (simple gate-filing). Pro8 is doing the Beaulieu's as Max 8, so it's doable, but maybe only via their method.

Contact mitchsperkins@yahoo.com as he did our super-duper modifications.

Rick

• Premium Member

Rick,

I'm shooting my first super 8 film soon and I live about 2 hours from Calgary. Is there much of a super 8 industry there? I can't seem to find a good company that will even sell and/or process super 8. Do you have any film friends in Calgary?

Rick,

I'm shooting my first super 8 film soon and I live about 2 hours from Calgary. Is there much of a super 8 industry there? I can't seem to find a good company that will even sell and/or process super 8. Do you have any film friends in Calgary?

The Calgary film co-op, CSIF, has a lot of super 8 shooters so I would contact them. They'll point you in the right direction. You might have to send things out of town but CSIF will know the whozits and wherezits from that end.

Rick

Nice to see such an old post come back.

I'm not sure about the Beaulieu's. I've heard there are issues, at least with the way we have been doing the super-duper modification (simple gate-filing). Pro8 is doing the Beaulieu's as Max 8.

I was talking to Phil about Max-8 earlier this week. They recenter the lens and add 16:9 frame lines in the viewfinder. I forgot to ask whether they had to modify the mirror - not sure if the standard shutter is wide enough to cover the full frame. He is genuinely excited about the difference a wide viewfinder makes to the way Super 8 shooters frame their shots.

As for gate-filing, I'm in Calgary and can share a few tips and tricks. I've done a few gates, but I'm not comfortable modding someone else's camera -- just in case.