7234 isn't strictly a print film. The "2" indicates it is what Kodak call a "pre-print" film - which includes camera stock and all lab intermediate or duplicating stocks. Look for a "3" in the second place for print stocks. (This is almost universally true - pleae don't write in with the exceptions they just go to prove the rule :blink: ).

In the case of 7234 it is a 16mm b/w duplicate negative stock. It runs through the same process as camera negative, and has about the same gamma (contrast) as a camera negative, and it has a grey base (same as camera negative). But it is much finer grain than camera negative and therefore many stops slower. Like most lab emulsions, I'd be looking at single figures for the EI.

7234 isn't strictly a print film. The "2" indicates it is what Kodak call a "pre-print" film - which includes camera stock and all lab intermediate or duplicating stocks. Look for a "3" in the second place for print stocks. (This is almost universally true - pleae don't write in with the exceptions they just go to prove the rule :blink: ).

In the case of 7234 it is a 16mm b/w duplicate negative stock. It runs through the same process as camera negative, and has about the same gamma (contrast) as a camera negative, and it has a grey base (same as camera negative). But it is much finer grain than camera negative and therefore many stops slower. Like most lab emulsions, I'd be looking at single figures for the EI.

Very interesting; thank you. I'm investigating strategies for upping that ASA.

• Premium Member

Hi Dominic,

IIRC we had a discussion about 7234 a while ago. I think I have a can sitting in my freezer which I picked up from Kodak for a mere 56 ?. I haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but I think people were rating it around 10 to 20 ISO.

@MAIS Grad Student, please re-read the forum rules and change you user name to first & last as per these rules. You also need to make a signature with your name in it. Thanks!

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
IIRC we had a discussion about 7234 a while ago. I think I have a can sitting in my freezer which I picked up from Kodak for a mere 56 ?. I haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but I think people were rating it around 10 to 20 ISO.

Nope, my bad. The stuff I have in my freezer is 7363 2R material. Sorry for that.

Cheers, Dave

Is 7234 'A' wind or 'B' wind or available as both? Just curious...

It is usually A wind or Double perf. Most contact printing machines take A wind or double perf film stock. If you need B wind you just have to rewind it, although the edge numbers will be backwards.

Brian

Hi Dominic,

@MAIS Grad Student, please re-read the forum rules and change you user name to first & last as per these rules. You also need to make a signature with your name in it. Thanks!

Cheers, Dave

I see... OK...