*screen grab from camera - un color corrected

Production: Johnny & Marco

Director: Frank Florencio

DP: Matt Workman

Set Photos:

http://www.mattworkman.com/photography/work/jm/

DP Highlight Reel:

http://www.mattworkman.com/dp-v2/work-jm.html

This is a follow up thread for a music video I'd been discussing how to light in the "lighting forum."

Said Thread about lighting: "Big Softy"

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=29314

Anyway. Recap we shot HVX200 with a 35mm adapter, so somewhere near 100 ASA. I'm usually against adapters but this one was pretty nice and we used the new Zeiss ZF primes which were very nice.

Roof, with a 8x8 Silver Lamee and a few 4x8 shiny bounces. Nothing crazy.

01.jpg

Kitchen, had an image80 and a bunch of kinos and the kitchen had three 1.2k HMI's coming in through the skylight.

31.jpg

Bathroom, had an image80, kinos, and a Joker on a boom arm.

29.jpg

Living Room, in lieu of a 6k book light like I had wanted we just pushed 3x 1.2k HMI's through a 8x8 1/4 grid. It worked out ok. The first shot was a very wide push in, but on the following close ups we brought it much closer and cleaned it up.

33.jpg

Thought it might be cool to actually post the results from a lighting thread.

Peace.

Matt

Edited by Matt Workman

Chase: Thanks! What have you been upto lately?

Tom: Yeah the HVX200/35mm is a workhorse these days for low budget music videos. As you know. The last video you posted the BTS from looked like fun.

Anton: Yeah unfortunately it cast the tell tale triple shadow in certain places but not much to do about that. I was kind of put off by the actual sun blowing out the actors in some of the shots but it was too much trouble to fly a 12x12 silk on the roof...it was dangerously windy

Xavier: Ehh no the book light was the original plan. Bouncing hard lighting into a ...bounce... then redirecting that through a silk is a book light. I just put the HMI's throught he silk, less sexy version of a book light.

I actually pulled the lenses on the Pars to get the most out of them. Though stipple or wide really wouldn't have been too bad.

*I'm updating my website in the next few days so these links won't work, but I'll just repost the new ones

Edited by Matt Workman

Hey Matt, just visited your website, you got some great stuff there. I was most interested in the fact that you roll! I'm from Boston, am studying cinematography (and working my ass off at it) and try to skate as much as my body allows. How long have you been in NYC for? You know any kids on the Boston scene (Alex Hogan, John Hamilton etc...?)

Xavier: Ehh no the book light was the original plan. Bouncing hard lighting into a ...bounce... then redirecting that through a silk is a book light. I just put the HMI's throught he silk, less sexy version of a book light.

Got it, thanks for answer, agree with you book light is best... but what you do it works so good... Anyway I'm waiting to see the video...looks great and good luck

Xavier Plaza

So I updated my site so the link to the reel doesn't work anymore.

Instead find your way to www.mattworkman.com/dp -> Music Videos -> Johnny & Marcos Reel

AlexanderD: Hah, a fellow roller. I kind of fell out of the scene a while ago. When I was in Boston I skated with Sean Hoyt and a Artie and few ASA kids. It was much different then. I had StylePoint Bobs and FifthElements back then. I also shot about 6 local rap videos when I was in the Bean too.

Since I went to school in Rochester, NY where there is a big scene coincidentally. Mike Torres, Mike Dispenza and the likes. I've been in NYC for a year and really haven't found any body to skate with like back in the day but eventually.

Xavier: Yeah I'll post the video when its on my site. I left out all of the performance setups in my reel and a few others so there will be some new stuff.

Peace.

Matt

PS: How you liking the new website? www.mattworkman.com I tried to make a cleaner "agency" feel. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Music video just released. Its going to be played on TV in Mexico and Spain, I hear.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...eoid=2103319922

I don't have a HD version of the video yet but the myspace one is horrendous.

The editor cropped to 2.35, I didn't shoot for it, so there are some odd compositions but I think it works ok.

Matt

Hey Matt

You don't know how you surprise me i never expect this video could be a bachata video sorry but i hate how this guys sing the bachata jajaja... I know this forum is about cinematography but i should have mentioned it... The video looks great but the song blow all the inspirations as a viewer ... i guess for bachata fans the video looks great... The only thing didn't like it was the flashback, old fashion film scratch, don't like it... But that's a little comment...

Good Luck

• Premium Member

I don't know if they gave you enough white sh!t to light, Matt. ;)

Your stuff is looking better and better. Hope I can catch up when I get to shoot something again :(