Visual hotels?

dan brockett

Hi all:

I thought since this board is frequented by lots of LA based DPs, Grips and Gaffers, I want to ask if anyone has done any shoots at a visually modern, interesting hotel near Fox in LA?

I want to ask, have you been on any shoots at any Culver City, East Santa Monica, West Hollywood hotels that took place in a large meeting room? We are shooting a round table discussion with the cast and director of a sci fi series and I am having a hard time finding the right location (nope, totally low budget, no money for a location scout or service unfortunately)

It will be a three camera shoot, need a room that is close to camera ready, we are hoping about 1,000 to 1,500 square feet. The project is really more about the discussion and the director has requested a "warm, comfortable and modern looking room" that we can shoot this round table discussion in.

Any ideas or advice out there? I know between all of you, somebody has shot or been to a wedding reception or a meeting in a room that fills this bill.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dan Brockett

• Premium Member

Just be careful about what is booked right next to your room. I find that outside noise ends up being a bigger issue than expected, especially in hotel venues. Make sure there is a way to turn off the intercom that goes to your room.

Nowadays, not only does one have to talk to the hotel planner, but a visit to security to find out what can and can't be done is crucial. Sorry I don't have a recommendation. I recall being somewhere recently that I thought would make a perfect room for what you want but I can't remember where I was. I think it was somewhere in the San fernando valley so it might be out your desired area.

Hi all:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. That hotel in Hollywood is a good candidate but I was just told I am restricted to Westwood, Beverly Hills or Century City. Anyone have any good candidates in any of these three areas? I know, I am frustrated because Hollywood and West Hollywood have lots of good candidates but they want it closer to Fox.

All my best,

Dan

Hi all:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. That hotel in Hollywood is a good candidate but I was just told I am restricted to Westwood, Beverly Hills or Century City. Anyone have any good candidates in any of these three areas? I know, I am frustrated because Hollywood and West Hollywood have lots of good candidates but they want it closer to Fox.

The Century Plaza (it's now the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza) has hosted many awards banquets (the ASC Awards were hosted there until this year). The room is large, but I believe they can subdivide it on request. And it's basically next door to Fox.

• Premium Member
If it's anything like here - and it's probably even more so - the hotels will be extremely savvy about this sort of thing and probably want to charge you an internal organ or two.

P

Yeah, it's going to cost an arm and a leg. Why does it have to be so close to fox? do they realize that means their location cost will be vastly higher than going a little further?

• Premium Member

The W Hotel in West Wood is a very cool looking spot. I don't know what the conference room looks like, but most of the hotel is good looking. That said, it may a little too "cold" look wise for what you are asking for.

I was just at the Beverly Hills Hilton last night and there are definitely some nice looking places there, though again, I don't know what the conference rooms look like.

Kevin Zanit

(EDIT: Thanks Brad, the W is in West Wood, not Beverly Hills)

• Premium Member

I would suggest the W hotel in Westwood or possibly the Peninsula, although I haven't shot in conference rooms in either hotel. I've shot in suites in the W that would probably be big enough though. Also, after looking at some pictures on their website, I think the Beverly Wilshire would probably be a good choice. I've shot in rooms there, but never the conference room.