Moving to Los Angeles to "get started" in the film industry

Niki Mundo

I am really amused that in skimming this thread, the only phrases which jump out at me are the ones discussing evil people and backstabbing, as if that's all Los Angeles consists of. I think if LA really sucked that bad, nobody would live there and Hollywood wouldn't exist. Ya know? I mean, damn. I'm planning to head out there myself in a few years and I guess I'm crazy or something. OR MAYBE I'M EVIL!!!

• Premium Member
I am really amused that in skimming this thread, the only phrases which jump out at me are the ones discussing evil people and backstabbing, as if that's all Los Angeles consists of. I think if LA really sucked that bad, nobody would live there and Hollywood wouldn't exist. Ya know? I mean, damn. I'm planning to head out there myself in a few years and I guess I'm crazy or something. OR MAYBE I'M EVIL!!!

You're clearly evil.

I know a lot of nice crewpeople out here. I went to a BBQ yesterday with many of them. They're also evil.

Like the song says, I love LA!!!! Lived there 15 years from the late 70s till the early 90s and would probably still be there if it weren't for my family. While everyone around me kept telling me how much they hated it I couldn't help but love it, REALLY love it, sometimes I still imagine cruising down Lankershim in North Hollywood or hanging out at Residuals over on Ventura. BUT wasn't all gravy, it's very expensive, it's crowded as Hell on a Saturday night, you HAVE to have a car, the police are pretty much complete jerks and traffic on the freeways is an absolute NIGHTMARE, Temptation is certainly there if you choose to pursue it as well :o!!!! However, there's a LOT of very nice, caring people in LA. Some of the best people I ever met in my life. There's an easy going attitude I've never found anywhere else, of course there's also some self centered jerks and consummate bullshit artists just like anywhere else but you're gonna get those anywhere you go. One of the main problems of being in LA is that the business is so competitive that you REALLY have to work hard to get anywhere and that's WHILE trying to make enough to survive. I guess the trick is to not get caught up in the superficial LA scene, the whole "image" thing. Keep your eyes on the prize and 99% of the time take what people tell you with a grain of salt look more at what they actually do than what they say they're GONNA do. Get a decent steady job, at night if possible, don't live beyond your means, stay away from self destructive and/or crazy people, network, stick to your goals, let nothing stand in your way, get a little lucky and you'll succeed...simple. :)