El Baño del Papa and Charlone's Aaton

Zack Spiger

I just saw El Baño del Papa (The Pope's Toilette) and was quite impressed (once again) with Charlone's handheld work. Does anyone have any info on the camera kit they used for this film? Does Charlone ever use an onboard monitor? Anyone know any handholding secrets with the A-minima or XTR? Are there any grips that are worth trying, or does the Aaton wood grip suffice?

I'm going to be operating a short in S16mm that's to be entirely handheld with one of the cameras from the Aaton lineup, so I'm trying to do some research.

thanks

• Premium Member

The wood grip works very nicely. It may help you if you can get one of the little articulating mounts which lets you position the handle at different angles.

If you are hand-holding the whole shoot with an XTR, you might want a pad for your shoulder. If you use a barney, it can serve as one. And unless you really need the size of the Minima, an XTR will probably serve better so you can use the normal 400ft loads.

I prefer not to use a monitor most of the time. It's just another thing to get in the way, rob power and add weight. The Aaton's viewing system is nice and clear.

I'm curious. Why do you want to know how he outfitted their package or if he uses an onboard monitor or not? Set it up how you need it and like it to be. Everyone is different. No one is "right".

The wood grip works very nicely. It may help you if you can get one of the little articulating mounts which lets you position the handle at different angles.

If you are hand-holding the whole shoot with an XTR, you might want a pad for your shoulder. If you use a barney, it can serve as one. And unless you really need the size of the Minima, an XTR will probably serve better so you can use the normal 400ft loads.

I prefer not to use a monitor most of the time. It's just another thing to get in the way, rob power and add weight. The Aaton's viewing system is nice and clear.

I'm curious. Why do you want to know how he outfitted their package or if he uses an onboard monitor or not? Set it up how you need it and like it to be. Everyone is different. No one is "right".

Thanks Vincent. Seems to me that Charlone is one of the best hand-help operators in the world. I know he often uses an A-minima so that's why I'm curious. He probably has a pretty effecient way to setup his rig, but of course you're right, it might not work for me. I'm not looking to steal anyone's secrets or style. I've learned plenty of lessons the "hard way," and so now I'm just asking for some tips. If it's some sort of secret, then please don't divulge.

I've handheld the xtr a bit already, but never the A-minima. I was just wondering how people were rigging the monitor on there. I also wear glasses, which poses some problems for hand-holding.

Do you know how much you can really take your eye off the viewfinder on the A-minima? Have you tried this outside ever?

You should read the American Cinematographer article on "City of God", unfortunately I don't remember what issue it's in. I'm not positive, but I recall it talking about Charlone using video goggles for some of the handheld operating, possibly in conjunction with an A-Minima.

• Premium Member
Do you know how much you can really take your eye off the viewfinder on the A-minima? Have you tried this outside ever?

Sorry I don't know enough about them. I've only held a Minima before, not operated. I still think they are less functional overall for an entire feature shoot. Check out 28 Weeks Later. I remember reading the frantic, but I thought effective and not overly applied, handheld work in it was shot with one. That is a good example where one would work better than an XTR, which is still fairly compact I think. Another good Minima application I can think of is when you have to steal shots in public. Without a matte box or any other add-ons, it is so small most people would assume it's a DV camera or not notice.