Shooting on the SR-2 for the first time....

Nick Castronuova

Next week. Does anyone have any pointers on this?

The one thing I'm nervous about is using a zoom lens. I'm accustomed to using prime lenses the few times I've shot on 16mm. I've shot on zoom lenses on Super 8 and DV obviously, but it should all work the same way, right? No need for measurements with a tape measure?

The SR is a great camera. Have fun.

I would still use a tape though. If the tape and eye focus are off, you could have a lens problem.

If you have an older SR with a filter slot, which an SR 2 may not have, you may want to put a piece of black tape over the slot. Older SR's had light leak problems with those.

Best

Tim

• Premium Member
How do I go about measuring with a zoom lens if i'm zoomed in?

.... The same way you do it with a prime...

Measurements are made from the subject to the focal plane of the camera. Why does being zoomed in have anything to do with it?

• 1 month later...
Next week. Does anyone have any pointers on this?

The one thing I'm nervous about is using a zoom lens. I'm accustomed to using prime lenses the few times I've shot on 16mm. I've shot on zoom lenses on Super 8 and DV obviously, but it should all work the same way, right? No need for measurements with a tape measure?

Hi There,

Tape measurement it is the most exact focus setting you can do with your lens.

TAPE from From the film plane to the nose or eyes depending of Tstop and camera speed to your subject). The SRII camera body (all film camera bodies)comes with THE film plane marking and hook so your Focus Puller can do his or her job.

Video cameras do not have any markings or location of the CHIP PLANE. You would have to calibrate it by ear and spit yourself

in the camera shop or home to mount a specific CINE/PHOTO lens/PL/Nikon mount into a Video Camera/Redrock or other adapter.

So, for a ZOOM lens (that one you are not familiar with) Colimate and calibrate the lens-film plane markings with the lens

distance markings and your Tstops at the rental house BEFORE you check the rig out. Always test your film equipment FIRST!

Adjust you viewfinder diopter correctly to your eye power. Even an old 12-120 Angenieux will do a beautiful (on the softer side) job, if you follow instructions.

For more info and fun, check my blog and watch a tutorial how to load and unload the Arri SRII Magazine

http://www.filmcastentertainment.blogspot.com/

If you have cash$$$ check Cinematography Electronics Cine Tape Measure System.

Good shooting and keep Visine or similar in your ditty bag to keep you focusing eye moist and IN-FOCUS.