Days of Heaven

• Premium Member

Just watched Days of Heaven on my projected screen. Damnnnn, what a lovely bit of pictures. I didn't check IMDB's trivia until it was over, where I learned of the peanut husks trick for the grass hoppers shot.

Nice connection with Degas!

There is also a great influence of American painters like Andrew Wyeth ("Christina's World", above them all) and Edward Hopper ("House by the railroad")

Here are some links of those pictures:

http://www.bu.edu/sed/caec/images/Wyethpainting.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/hoppe...er.railroad.jpg

hopper.railroad.jpg

Wyethpainting.jpg

• Premium Member

Yes, I'm sure there were more inspirations than just Degas! Nice pics.

I should point out that even though the filmmakers drew inspiration from great paintings, it's still quite an achievement to pull it off photographically. What impresses me even more though is that Malick, Almendros and Wexler kept that beautiful quality consistently throughout the entire film. Most films are lucky to get such evocative beauty in a couple shots; Heaven kept it up start to finish.

• Premium Member
What impresses me even more though is that Malick, Almendros and Wexler kept that beautiful quality consistently throughout the entire film.

Don't forget Mr. Fisk.

What impresses me most is how everyone that worked on this were the kind of people needed to pull off such a great film. One of the hardest things about lower than "normal" budgets, like this had, is getting talented people that are dedicated outside of a big day rate and overtime. If only everyone with worthwhile projects were so lucky.