Cookaloris

Tom Pollock

Does anyone have a good theory as to the origin of the name cookaloris?

Yes! The name originated when a girl called Lori was working on a shoot. It was an interview with some important character or other, and it was in the evening and they were losing light as the sun was setting but Lori was really taken with the shadows cast by the setting sun as it streamed in through a tree outside and into the room. As they were setting up she kept pointing it out and telling everyone how beautiful it looked. Sadly by the time they had set up they had lost the light and Lori kept saying how sad she was that they had lost all the beautiful patterns on the walls and now they were boring to her. Then someone had a bright idea to make a cookie that would give a similar effect! They quickly knocked one up with random holes and it worked giving the effect we all know and love. Lori was very happy. Then whenever they were doing another one of those shoots Lori would always ask if they could use the special cookie and they started reffering to it as Lori's cookie!

Over time the phrase mutated into the cookaloris, as it was faster to say.

love

Freya

Yes! The name originated when a girl called Lori was working on a shoot. It was an interview with some important character or other, and it was in the evening and they were losing light as the sun was setting but Lori was really taken with the shadows cast by the setting sun as it streamed in through a tree outside and into the room. As they were setting up she kept pointing it out and telling everyone how beautiful it looked. Sadly by the time they had set up they had lost the light and Lori kept saying how sad she was that they had lost all the beautiful patterns on the walls and now they were boring to her. Then someone had a bright idea to make a cookie that would give a similar effect! They quickly knocked one up with random holes and it worked giving the effect we all know and love. Lori was very happy. Then whenever they were doing another one of those shoots Lori would always ask if they could use the special cookie and they started reffering to it as Lori's cookie!

Over time the phrase mutated into the cookaloris, as it was faster to say.

love

Freya

lol that cant be true...

Does anyone have a good theory as to the origin of the name cookaloris?

Many years ago the late George Folsey, ASC was the cinematography instructor at AFI. He used to tell a story about how he either invented and/or named the cookaloris. Unfortunately, I don't remember the story though I can remember a reference to the "high Cookaloris" from some children's story.

Perhaps there is another AFI alumnus reading this who can recall the story?

huh, I always just assumed it was french...

Ah! The story of the French filmmaker in the forest in Borneo! No that one is just an urban myth!

Cook a la Loris sounds like some kind of dish anyway and the Slow Loris is one of only 2 mammals that is known to be poisonous! ;)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

I did a search and was VERY surprised to find almost NO information on the word's origin. I did find some speculation on a word website. There is a German word that could be the root which means cover or hood, but in all honesty this word looks more Latin than Germanic. My guess is it probably comes from something much older, either some kind of lantern or paper decorative cut out, but of course this is merely speculation on my part. :D

• 3 years later...

Many years ago the late George Folsey, ASC was the cinematography instructor at AFI. He used to tell a story about how he either invented and/or named the cookaloris. Unfortunately, I don't remember the story though I can remember a reference to the "high Cookaloris" from some children's story.

Perhaps there is another AFI alumnus reading this who can recall the story?

From what I have read, it was Folsey who invented it, when he was shooting a film in Greece, and noticed the interesting way that a misplaced ladder cast its shadow on the wall. He asked the grips to make him something portable to help break up the light whenever he needed it. It was dubbed a cucoloris, which some believe derives from Greek, meaning "breaking of the light"

I did a search and was VERY surprised to find almost NO information on the word's origin. I did find some speculation on a word website. There is a German word that could be the root which means cover or hood, but in all honesty this word looks more Latin than Germanic. My guess is it probably comes from something much older, either some kind of lantern or paper decorative cut out, but of course this is merely speculation on my part. :D

The Latin word for rooster is cockalorum - but I never saw chicken on a c-stand.

We have the word Kokolores in Germany that means making something crazy also refers to some random stuff, like the total mess on my desk.

Frank

Edited by Frank Glencairn