Concert Film

Ernie Zahn

Here's a clip of my film group's latest endeavor:

http://blip.tv/file/785404

I'm a huge fan of Dick Carruthers' work with The White Stripes: Under Black Pool Lights and Led Zeppelin (DVD). I liked the intercutting of video and Super8mm on Earl's Court and Knebworth on the LZ DVD and thought I try a little bit of that myself. The DV was standard 3CCD and the Super8mm was 200T. It really works for shows like these at NYC bars I think. Let me know what you all think.

Hey man, I really loved the editing on this. Glad to see someone switching up the angles at a good pace. I'm just dying....dying to film this local band I like here in Michigan in Super 8. I even rented some lights (1000 watt Mole Richardson), even made a homemade DC to AC battery pack kit to mount on my Canon 1014 xls that will power a 350 watt light (most of the on-camera light kits for video are only 100w max) and it still wasn't enough light. The bar in your video looked to be pretty low lit, yet even the film footage looked great. Does negative make that much difference? I wanted to use Tri-X b/w. I know that is a slower speed that your 200T but still...I have heard that if you want to film in a bar, you need atleast 500T (that is assuming you are using the clubs lighting only).

Hey man, I really loved the editing on this. Glad to see someone switching up the angles at a good pace. I'm just dying....dying to film this local band I like here in Michigan in Super 8. I even rented some lights (1000 watt Mole Richardson), even made a homemade DC to AC battery pack kit to mount on my Canon 1014 xls that will power a 350 watt light (most of the on-camera light kits for video are only 100w max) and it still wasn't enough light. The bar in your video looked to be pretty low lit, yet even the film footage looked great. Does negative make that much difference? I wanted to use Tri-X b/w. I know that is a slower speed that your 200T but still...I have heard that if you want to film in a bar, you need atleast 500T (that is assuming you are using the clubs lighting only).

For shooting in a club setting you really should shoot with the 500T. yes the negative stock has much more latitude, so it is easier to get a good exposure. But I am surprised that with a 1k and other assorted lights that you could not get enough. What had how are you lighting?