Redcode 28 vs 36

Jayson Crothers

• Premium Member

I'm about to start shooting a new feature film and we're shooting on the RED; the decision came very last minute to go from HD to the RED and I'm in a bit of a race to learn as much as I can about the system.

One thing I can't seem to find a clear answer to is the difference between Redcode 28 and Redcode 36 - the only hard information I can find is that shooting with Redcode 36 limits some frame rate options for me, but what do I gain with 36 over the default 28?

Thanks everyone!

Guest Josh Gannon

Redcode 36 is simply a higher bitrate 36MB/s rather then 28MS/s.

I would recommend shooting all your sync stuff at 36 for a little extra quality and latitude when it comes to grading (NOT EXPOSURE LATITUDE! it is 6 stops no matter what. I have extensively wedge tested these cameras. +2 1/2 stops. - 3 1/2 stops)

Obviously Redcode 36 will take up more hdd / cf card space.

But as a rule of thumb always chose the 36MB/s codec where possible.

• Premium Member

I would recommend shooting all your sync stuff at 36 for a little extra quality and latitude when it comes to grading (NOT EXPOSURE LATITUDE! it is 6 stops no matter what. I have extensively wedge tested these cameras. +2 1/2 stops. - 3 1/2 stops)

What do you mean by "6 stops" and how exactly are you measuring it?

What have you been shooting so successfully?

Looking forwards to hearing your results and thoughts, Jayson. What kind of post workflow are you taking it through? Any chance you're doing a filmout?

I would be interested in hearing about this, too. Good luck with your tests.

BTW, I thought the RED has 11+ stops? :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Never trust a manufacturer's specs ;)

There's stops and then there's useable stops. No camera has as high a latitude as its manufacturer claims.

Are we talking latitude or dynamic range? They're two completely different things.

• Premium Member
What is the difference?

Latitude is the amount an image can be over- or under-exposed and still yield an acceptably "normal" looking image after color correction (and/or processing, in the case of film).

Dynamic range is the range of brightness a system can capture, between solid black and solid white.

People often use the term latitude when they're talking about dynamic range, which leads to all kinds of confusion. A camera that claims to have "11 stops of dynamic range" can capture some detail in a gray card between roughly 5+ stops under- and 5+ stops over-exposed (give or take, since the over- and under-range rarely match). That doesn't mean that the camera has 11 stops of latitude though, because you can't recover any highlight detail in an image that's 5 stops over, or shadow detail in an image that's 5 stops under. In that hypothetical system it's more likely that you've got about + or - 2 stops of latitude.

Latitude is the amount an image can be over- or under-exposed and still yield an acceptably "normal" looking image after color correction (and/or processing, in the case of film).

Dynamic range is the range of brightness a system can capture, between solid black and solid white.

Thanks for the explanation. So basically what you are saying is that latitude decides your "wiggle room" -- the amount by which you can shift your captured range up and down, just like a slider, along the full range of signal values available to you.

• Premium Member

Yes. Maybe a better definition would have been:

Latitude: margin of error for exposure. Usually expressed in + and - values.

Dynamic range: total range of light values the system can capture. Usually expressed in total values.

it is 6 stops no matter what. I have extensively wedge tested these cameras. +2 1/2 stops. - 3 1/2 stops)

How does one do a 'wedge test'? i'm unsure of the process involved to find the latitude of a camera, could anyone please elaborate?

Thanks